Best lead singer lead guitarist ever

Started by StephenM, February 19, 2021, 05:34:09 PM

kenny mac

People categorize great guitarists as lead players but for me someone who is hugely underated as a guitarist and a great singer is jeff Lynne.
His guitar style and playing is excellent.

Hi all, I also think it's a personal thing but for me Adrian Belew with King Crimson is great and Eric Johnson for me is probably more of a guitarist than singer but he ain't bad at vocalising.
Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

StephenM

Quote from: Willie on February 20, 2021, 03:49:16 PMHi all, I also think it's a personal thing but for me Adrian Belew with King Crimson is great and Eric Johnson for me is probably more of a guitarist than singer but he ain't bad at vocalising.
Willie

Eric Johnson is a great singer for sure...but he never was that interested in writing "hits" so that kind of hurt his popularity as a singer (not that that matters really).... but all the guitar players showed up to see him play...brilliant..

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

T.C. Elliott

Quote from: AndyR on February 20, 2021, 06:28:07 AMI SO wanted to get a woman in that list, but couldn't...

Samantha Fish might be on that list for me. She's effing awesome.

I like Halestorm an awful lot as well, so I wouldn't disagree with your suggestion on that one.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

StephenM

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on February 20, 2021, 06:42:58 PM
Quote from: AndyR on February 20, 2021, 06:28:07 AMI SO wanted to get a woman in that list, but couldn't...

Samantha Fish might be on that list for me. She's effing awesome.

I like Halestorm an awful lot as well, so I wouldn't disagree with your suggestion on that one.

I am familiar with both, more the first....SF is really got a cool vibe and attitude to her....and Halestorm...well...that's a good name for it!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

I've been enjoying reading everybody's inputs.... and I don't think there are any right answers...just your answers... later on I am going to dig for a few stats to support some various categories like for instance....who sold the most music etc....
Plus I have been listening to some of the ones you mentioned that I might not be familiar with... Like Adrian Belew...

This is not going to be my top selection but I am going to make a case for a few honorable mentions....

Rik Emmitt from Triumph.... super incredible at both vocals and guitars.... and that was just a 3 piece so he gets very high marks for me...also wrote alot

And another Canadian:  Randy Bachman...part of 2 world wide major bands as both a vocalist and "lead" guitarist (also shared lead in BTO and also shared vocals in both BTO and The Guess Who)...plus he wrote alot of incredible songs... not my favorite at any of them...but in totality he has to be on the list imo...

And my last honorable mention for today:  is another Canadian .... Myles Goodwin of April Wine.... ok they had 3 "lead" guitarists....they all did leads...but Myles had a fantastic voice and he wrote great songs....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Bluesberry

seeing as you are mentioning Canadians Stephen.....I'll throw out Kim Mitchell....in his original incarnation as lead singer and sole guitarist in Max Webster...I love that band...his guitar chops are legendary......that is good stuff

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ted

I don't know much about Trey Anastasio's catalog – I have one solo album and no Phish albums – but he's impressive. I remember a particular song where he was playing a complex melody line and singing another non-parallel vocal part at the same time.

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

des0free

For me, Eric Clapton.  Undisputed guitar god.  But I have always loved his singing too. He has impeccable taste.
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

StephenM

Quote from: des0free on February 28, 2021, 11:44:30 PMFor me, Eric Clapton.  Undisputed guitar god.  But I have always loved his singing too. He has impeccable taste.

so far I would say that if you were going by record sales and impact on the world overall.... it would be Eric Clapton or Prince.... I wasn't a big Prince fan but his impact was huge and he was a good guitarist....I know folks who say he was a great guitarist... I can't say because i didn't listen to much... My favorite is Steve Miller but i would pick Eric Clapton as the greatest....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24