Best lead singer lead guitarist ever

Started by StephenM, February 19, 2021, 05:34:09 PM

StephenM

After watching Sammy Hagar and Eddie Van Halen tearing it up on "Only One Way to Rock" I got to thinking.... Sammy Hagar was probably better known for his vocals but he is an amazing guitarist as well...really super good...
so I was wondering who comes to mind as someone who was at the top of their game as both singer and guitarist? 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

T.C. Elliott

Hendrix was an underrated singer but some of his stuff is great. And, of course, no better guitarist out there (imo.)
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Greeny

Jeff Buckley.

Outstanding at both.

His dad was pretty good too.

Bluesberry

Quote from: Greeny on February 19, 2021, 06:35:19 PMJeff Buckley.

Outstanding at both.
I agree....

Pete ham (Badfinger) was damn good at both

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Kody

I've always loved Zakk Wylde's vocals on his solo stuff (Pride & Glory, Book of Shadows...) & his guitar playing is some of the best I've ever heard.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Ferryman

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ted

Quote from: Ferryman on February 20, 2021, 03:50:45 AMAdrian Belew for me.

I never miss a chance to say that Adrian Belew is my favorite, all-around musician ever. He can do a Beatles-ish pop song, he can do avant-garde, he can do animal sounds, he can touch your heart. He's not a bad drummer. He has produced great albums where has played every instrument.  He's in a class with Todd Rundgren, Paul McCartney, and Prince.

There. I said it. Again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vq-KGGJnEbM
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

AndyR

I feel uncomfortable talking about "best", especially "ever" so I'm just gonna talk "my favourite"  :)

Also, you mean folks who do both, don't you? That's how I'm reading it.

Anyway, actually, it's favourites, I find it hard to separate them.

I've personally seen these guys live, they're all on the list:

Alvin Lee
Rory Gallagher
Stevie Ray Vaughan
Ted Nugent
Mark Knopfler
Charlie Starr
Brad Paisley
JD Simo
Billy Gibbons

Of the guys I haven't seen, I'd have to add Jimi Hendrix to the list, and probably Prince too.

Of the guys I have seen but DON'T want to add, there's a surprising standout - Eric Clapton. Seen him a few times, got nearly everything he's on, but he doesn't make my list of favourites (actually, the only time I've seen Mark Knopfler was as Eric's rhythm guitarist... Eric finally convinced him to do a solo on Same Old Blues... and omigoodness... that was the highlight of the night/year/decade... even the girl I was with, for whom "Clapton" had no equal, admitted MK's playing for that few minutes was probably the best bit).

OK, right now, if I had to pick one favourite of the favourites... it has to be Charlie Starr (Blackberry Smoke).
Put it this way, if you could bring the dead ones on my list back, in their prime, and then offered me ONE gig only that I could go to tonight...
It would be Blackberry Smoke... for me, his singing and playing are mesmerising

But I certainly wouldn't want to claim he's the "best ever" ;D

BTW - I SO wanted to get a woman in that list, but couldn't... most of the women artists I love don't play guitar, let alone lead guitar.
Joanne Shaw Taylor does, and is SO close, but doesn't quite make it onto my "OH YEAH" list above.
She is flippin brilliant, but, for me... she plays long solos, not necessarily a bad thing, but each one is a masterpiece/monument of dynamics and build-up... also not a bad thing... but it's the same bluddy thing in every bluddy song! ;D (or it was a few years back when I saw her 2 or 3 times). And on record, I don't really like her voice.

Lzzy Hale? - although she does play some lead, she's not really the lead guitarist in Halestorm, but FLIPPIN HECK what a singer/guitarist/songwriter/frontperson.

Kelly Johnson? - original lead in Girlschool and took approximately half the lead vocals. But I didn't really like her voice, and I MUCH preferred Kim anyway (I stood in front of her mic-stand at Tiffany's in Bristol, she gave me her half-finished Special Brew when they realised the audience was about to pass out... I kept it for YEARS!)

Taylor Swift? - can't really count her playing as "lead" at all I spose, but she's a pretty good guitarist... I didn't realise until recently... and WHAT a singer-songwriter...
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

pjd1

Gary Moore for me but there are so many out there Eric Clapton , Marc Knopfler , Jeff Heally , John Martyn ,  Joe Walsh , Joe Bonnamassa , i could go on all night , nice to see what everyone else,s is listening to

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8