"Gone" by The Stan Laurels (Final Mix and Original 2002 Shit-Mix)

Started by Bosko Schwartz, June 01, 2009, 09:45:07 PM

Blooby

Bosko, I apologize for not commenting sooner (I thought I had as I listened to the various mixes).  The background vocals really shine in this tune...definitely the highlight.  I actually think the tune takes off once the background vocals are present/  I like the acoustic piano against the tremolo guitar. 

Although I can hear the notes of the bass, the track feels trebly to me.  That could be just squashed mp3, but you asked people to be honest.

Well orchestrated.

Peace.

Blooby

Pine

Won't go into this at length as i did in my post on Walking with the Dead but again here Bosko, there is no point in turning a fun hobby into a tweaking nightmare. We all want our songs to sound their best..but too many idea from others and your creations begin to lose their originality. Alot of big stars seem to bury their vox , IMHO, and millions love them. If they made big changes, they would lose "their sound". You have "the Bosko sound". Go with it man. Personally, i love way out front vox...like they were in the 50's and 60's. You seem to have a more contemporary mix ..nothing wrong with that. This song is you...and you got alot of good advice on this one. Take it and run!  :)
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Oldrottenhead

QuoteI've learned (as orh points out as a technique) to trust my instincts and keep things as original and spontaneous as possible.
saw ray davis getting interviewed this morning on bbc breakfast news and he said pretty much the same thing about songwriting.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bosko Schwartz

launched, don't worry, I would never bite your or anyone's head off! ;D  Thanks for the kind words!

indierik, thank you so much, I always appreciate your comments.  OK, my lyrics are decent, but always the last thing I do, so perhaps I feel that I put the least amount of effort into them.  You're right, sadly, about how the masses work.  Sometimes talent means little to nothing.  If more people are buying something, more people will then buy it.  Did that statement make sense?  To many, it almost doesn't matter what it is, they just want what everyone else has.  How sad that society has come to that.  I think that is true for just about anything.  Even this forum.  If one song has 20 comments and another song has 1 comment, most will probably go to the song that has 20 comments just to see what all the hullabaloo is about.  Hell, I'm guilty of it myself. ::)  But I am a generally optimistic person, so I always have hope. :)

Hey Satch, thanks a lot!!  Never heard that about my voice, but it's good to know someone digs it!

Greeny, thank you!!!  You're definitely right about leaving a song and coming back to it.  It does wonders for the ears.  I am working on the whole spontaneity thing that ORH is so good at, but it's harder for me.  Slowly but surely ... ;)

Blooby, thanks for the kind words!  Glad you liked the BG vox -- I tend to agree that they work well in the song.  As for the trebly sound, I'm not sure.  Could be the speakers and/or cans you're listening on.  As you know, I am a bass-heavy kind of guy, so I will take another listen and make sure the bass is high enough in volume.

Pinedog, thank you for the words!  It hasn't been a nightmare per se, just a lot of time and work.  I am actually hoping to take this hobby into the professional realm, which is why I spend a little more time on it than some do.  But there is something to be said for the energy of spontaneity, so as I said, I am going to work on that for my next album.  This one is almost done, so there's no way to get back all of the time I have already spent.  But as you can hear comparing the original mix to the final mix, I feel the time I put into it was worth it.

ORH -- Ray Davis, or Ray Davies?  Big difference.  Ray Davies is one of my all-time favorite songwriters! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Oldrottenhead

QuoteRay Davies
of the kinks, one of my fave writers too.
QuoteI am working on the whole spontaneity thing that ORH is so good at,
you should hear the stuff i do that never makes it here lol, occassionally they get through tho check out some of my drunken posts lmao.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Bosko Schwartz

Quote from: oldrottenhead on June 15, 2009, 03:18:40 PMyou should hear the stuff i do that never makes it here lol, occassionally they get through tho check out some of my drunken posts lmao.

You'll have to point out some of your drunken posts.  I can't tell a drunken oldrottenhead post from a sober oldrottenhead post.

Wait a second -- you're setting me up, aren't you -- there ARE no sober oldrottenhead posts! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Bluesberry

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on June 23, 2009, 06:47:12 PM
Quote from: oldrottenhead on June 15, 2009, 03:18:40 PMyou should hear the stuff i do that never makes it here lol, occassionally they get through tho check out some of my drunken posts lmao.

You'll have to point out some of your drunken posts.  I can't tell a drunken oldrottenhead post from a sober oldrottenhead post.

Wait a second -- you're setting me up, aren't you -- there ARE no sober oldrottenhead posts! ;D
Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha, thats too funny.  We all love ya ORH!

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oldrottenhead

QuoteYou'll have to point out some of your drunken posts.  I can't tell a drunken oldrottenhead post from a sober oldrottenhead post.
heres one http://soundclick.com/share?songid=6688127 its called bigger than led zepellin, i was very very drunk
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
- Robert Schumann

galestermusic

Bosko...are you kidding me?!?!?!? Dude I say this in the most constructive ways and if it sounds a bit coarse I apologize.

You have more talent in you pinky finger than the majority of us on these boards! I have been to your myspace page and heard all your music. What all of us say here to you will not do or mean anything to you as long as you don't believe in yourself. My god man! I am 42 years old and I just wrote my first lyric in my life two weeks ago. I think the song is so great that it should be published, but every piece of music I have put with it, I'm not happy at all so it doesn't get done.

There are people that are blessed with a voice and you are...there are people that are blessed with the ability to put their words down on paper...and you are....and there are people that can play instuments...and you can. You have everything going for you. Now you have to have confidence.

The dream to make it big in music...I found out when I was 18...thats what it is, a dream. Its not to say its not attainable I'm just saying there has to be a niche or void that you have the ability to fill and you do. But to put so much pressure on yourself, in my opinion, may inhibit yet more abilities and talent.

Just believe in yourself. We all as artists are perfectionists, everyone of us. If you don't like it then fix it...its a process and I can tell from your productions, you know the process and as I said...there is nothing we here can say that will make it better if you don't have the confiidence and belief in what you produce.

It is really great!

All those comments you see others getting on the micro boards are more chants of encouragement. The majority of us that are on there...we are there for the hobby and the fun! Nothing more nothing less.

I really hope I didn't come off rude but it drives me nuts when someone as talented as you are limits the creativity by secind guessing everything they do. I do apoligize if this came off bad!

:)