"Gone" by The Stan Laurels (Final Mix and Original 2002 Shit-Mix)

Started by Bosko Schwartz, June 01, 2009, 09:45:07 PM

Geir

I think if you look at the depth of the response you get compared to the average mbr reply you should consider yourself lucky !!!

And you're slowly building yourself a loyal crowd of listeners here in 1600-land !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Flash Harry

Bosco - Everything that Geir said.

I think that the lead in the middle is too bright, not too loud. Knock off the top end a bit and I think that will fix the query over the guitar.

Bang up the bass my man.

Otherwise F'in' Ace!
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Greeny

Killer song. So many wonderful chord changes, harmonies, layers and shifts of mood, all building up into an epic. The production is tip-top (yeah... the bass could come up a bit), and those live drums (they are aren't they?!) really take this beyond the usual home-recorded stuff the rest of us struggle to produce. Your influences are clear, but you also have your own style. It's still all about songwriting though - and you really know how to 'craft' a song. I can hear all the time and effort and perfectionism, and all of it is worth it. Fantastic work (again).

Bosko Schwartz

Geir, you have a point, many of the comments I've received have been pretty in-depth.  It's just hard not to feel like I am an outcast over here in 1600 Land.  We're talking about 1280 songs and 15,261 posts (which will probably change by the time I hit "Post") in MBR World, compared to 10 songs and 168 posts in the 1600 room.  But I will get used to it.  I am a big f-in' whiner, that's all.  And a weiner, sometimes.

Flash, thanks!  Agreed; I tweaked this one and will post another mix in a sec ...

Greeny, thanks a lot!  Coming from such an accomplished musician/songwriter, your words always mean a lot to me.  How do you have time to post so many songs (and comments)?  You seem to live at the Forum, yet you are an endless fountain of incredible music.  You are either some sort of superhero, or you're really like 6 people.  And you must never sleep.  Or eat.  Or shit.  Yes, those are real drums, as always for me.  I don't have the patience to program them and there's no need to since I have a drum kit; the 8 simultaneous inputs on the BR-1600 are the main reason I have that big, bulky machine instead of a Micro.  Thanks again for the words. :)
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Bosko Schwartz

OK, lads & gals, since I can't post another MP3 to the original thread, I had to start a new one.  I will ask 64Guitars to merge them sometime later.  Here's what I did to tweak the mix:

• Raised the bass (priority #1!!)
  • Brought down the high EQ on the lead guitar in the middle and end, also panned it more centered (-10 to the right)
  • Brought the BG vox up a tad
  • Took the piano up just a hair (believe it or not, this was supposed to be a piano-driven song -- it was even originally a piano-ONLY song, but the guitars just sort of took over about a third into it ;D
  • Fixed the ending, which faded out way too quickly

So is this one album-ready now?

Oldrottenhead

whatever you have done to it, it is still a beautifully crafted song, personally i cant hear much difference from this version to the other (i will need to listen to them back to back to make a proper comparison), all i can hear is a bloody great song.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

just went back and listened to other version to compare (mind you on my cheapo pc speakers) but i think this version is stronger, it has more presence and i feel(dont know how else to describe this) it is a more dynamic mix.
gawd thats me without a drink wait till later tonight.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

Raised the bass (priority #1!!) I can hear the bass nicely now

Brought down the high EQ on the lead guitar in the middle and end, also panned it more centered (-10 to the right) Big improvement, removed any shrillness but left the agressive volume and tone which is perfect.

Brought the BG vox up a tad  Yes, yes, yes backing vocals are superfine now.

Took the piano up just a hair (believe it or not, this was supposed to be a piano-driven song -- it was even originally a piano-ONLY song, but the guitars just sort of took over about a third into it Piano sounds good, real good, I can hear it real clear wven in the "busy" part

Fixed the ending, which faded out way too quickly  Satisfying ending, doesn't leave me hanging or wanting more, real nice IMO

I am glad you left the vocals up front. I can hear all words clearly, the vocals lead the listener through all the twists and turns, like a guide, so they need to be promiment, so I can focus on them while catching the rest of the sounds as they go past, always focusing on the vocal, that is how I hear this song.  I think the new mix really improves this, it is all small subtle things, but it sounds better overall, as ORH says, more dynamic. 

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bosko Schwartz

Son of a cock!  >:( >:( >:(

I just listened to this again on the home stereo and realized the drums are way too low.  So are the guitars before the middle part.  Everything else seems right-on, but I can't have the drums this low in volume.  They drive this song.

GODDAMNIT.

Thanks for the words, ORH and Bluesberry, but it's back to the BR for me.  It's definitely close, but not quite there.

I will tweak away again and shall return soon ... >:(

launched

Just caught this - I'll wait to skewer you once the knobs have been played with again... (That didn't sound right)

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover