"Gone" by The Stan Laurels (Final Mix and Original 2002 Shit-Mix)

Started by Bosko Schwartz, June 01, 2009, 09:45:07 PM

Bosko Schwartz

ERROR: No MP3 file found.

All topics in the Post Your Work boards must have either an mp3 file attached or include a link to an external mp3 file ([singlemp3] tags) in the message body.

OK, all, thanks to 64Guitars kindly merging all posts, you will find 4 different versions
(corrected, streamlined now to include just 2 different versions) of the song "Gone," the FINAL and Original Shit-Mix.  You will find the Final Mix somewhere on Page 2 of comments and the Original Shit-Mix on Page 3.  If you read the entire thread, you will see why I posted the shitty original version.

If you have not yet heard the final mix, I would suggest listening to the original first.  The other way around would be kind of like watching Tim Burton's remake of "Charlie & the Chocolate Factory" after watching the original.  A real letdown.  This is not to say that this song or the final mix are phenomenal, it's just to show that all of my stuff once sounded like this. :o :'( >:(  To me, it's a pretty big difference from how it sounds now.

Thanks for your time and your comments!!! :) :D ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

launched

First of all - I'm not really worthy of comments, but since you are asking!! :D

What you have here is very bright with full clarity - much like your other album material that you have posted here. I do hear everything, including the bass growl and trem git. Very good, BTW!

Also, when it got "busy" in the middle - there were some good lead and vocal harmonies as well. A bunch more bass would definitely not detract from that. This could be, as Tom Petty would say, a very loud track!

I think I pissed another member off a little by commenting on their "loudness" from another post, as they were looking for "Mellow" and "Smooth" comments, but I think what I meant to say was "crankable". This is room filling, plush sound that can actually be controlled by the listener via the volume knob (And not fucking with the eq, if you know what I mean!). If a guy wants his Stardust loud, it should be loud! I like my Stardust loud sometimes... This is no exception.

I agree that the bass is in the back too far. It would be tough to adjust anything else without adjusting this crucial component first. And from the tone that I can hear, there won't be a lot of floor noise from the increase.

BTW, when you get to the point where I can't tell anymore, I'll let you know - It's getting pretty close to that, though! :D

Love this song!

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Geir

Another WOW from me Bosko! It's a beautiful emotional song!!! And as usual not much to pick on on the production. I've listen to it 4 times now and that's just today :)

What I would do is :
* Crank up the bass, as you poited out yourself.
* I would narrow the lead vox some, but keep the level.
* I would try taking some top off the lead guitar in the mid-section, turn it down a notch and center it in the mix 'cause I think there's a free spot there in that freq-range (alternatively double it and pan the two +/- ~20 )

As usual ... just my opinion ... and it may not be better !!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Oldrottenhead

wow, the harmonies are awesome. a great song
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Bluesberry

I really love this Bosco, this sounds like your strongest vocal performance to me.  I like it up front like this, and the backing harmonies sound good also volume wise.  Great guitar line there, I think it could come down in volume or maybe gain just a bit, or maybe top end EQ (as Geir pointed out).  Overall, this is an excellent, well crafted song.  All the parts flow naturally and nothing is out of place.  I don't find the "busy" midle part to be too busy.  I like the mix of light/dark moods.  Needs more presence (what about compression) on the bass for sure.  I would say this is pretty darn close to a great song, just needs a little more polishing.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Frank53

Bosko, terrific song. Nice contrast of slightly edgy music, and more mellow vocals. Did you do a copy and time shift to get the wide lead vocals. I think it works well. I've done that with guitar and BG vocals, but not lead voice.

No problem here with the lead voice level. Right up front, with minimum 'verb is where I think it should be. With the laid back singing style, it might get lost in the mix if it wasn't.

I also like the lead guitar volume. At first I was thinking bringing it down a hair, or as was mention, cut the high EQ just a bit, but it grew on me. I also agree with bringing up the bass. Isn't bass the hardest thing to record? It is for me. LOL!

The only is issue I would have here is in the middle section. You mentioned it being busy. I think there is some competition going on between the lead voice and guitar, even though they each in their own space and spectrum. I was trying to concentrate on both at once. Perhaps adding some spaces to the guitar part, and fitting it around the vocal phrasing would help that. Just a thought.

Excellent tune. Really enjoyed it.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Satchwood

Another cool Bosko tune for sure! 

Samaanya is still my favorite, but this one rocks - I like when you go falseto with your voice in this one - cool singing!!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Bosko Schwartz

Thanks everyone, so much, for all of the kind words.  It sounds like my main concerns with the mix were shared with most of you.  What I will try to do is lower the lead vox (just a hair), raise the backing vox a hair, raise the bass a good bit, drop the high EQ on the lead guitar in the middle and perhaps lower the volume a tad as well.  Also, the quick fade-out at the end is only temporary as well -- I will fix that.  Then this one should be album-ready.

Thanks for your feedback, as always!

Looks like it's hard to get people to "travel" way down here to the ol' BR-1600 section (what is this, the ghetto?), but I appreciate the 6 of you who have listened and taken the time to comment! :)

The Reverend 48

Quote from: Bosko Schwartz on June 02, 2009, 01:27:16 PMLooks like it's hard to get people to "travel" way down here to the ol' BR-1600 section (what is this, the ghetto?), but I appreciate the 6 of you who have listened and taken the time to comment! :)

Bosko I think I've already said your work is so professional I don't think I would begin to know what to say so sometimes I listen and feel I have nothing useful to say.......But I do listen and I suspect others do as well...Keep em coming ;)

Bosko Schwartz

Well, I do appreciate that, 48, although I don't feel the same.  I wouldn't call my music "professional," otherwise, I'd be making money doing this stuff.  And it wouldn't be so difficult to get the mix right.  There are a ton of comments on almost every Micro-BR piece, no matter what the quality.  I spend countless hours on this stuff; just asking for a few more comments to let me know if it's worth continuing to chase this absurd dream.  I almost feel like, what is the point posting something no one's listening to?  Or if they are listening, why not comment?

Awww, shit, here I go whining again.  I don't want to be "that guy."  Never mind, I'll take my lumps!   Grin and bear it! ;D