Leaving Our Land

Started by Ray Brookes, February 17, 2021, 12:40:44 PM

Pine

A sad tale so very well shared. Ray your vocals are ace...carry the tune down the dusty road of hardship and loss.
Amazing how powerful just one well placed bass note can be. Loved the fingerpicking and JP's dobro added a lovely, wistful touch.
The darkness of those minor chords impart the shadows and tears of dreams lost. Good at first listen.. but it's a grower. Nice!!
recorder
Boss BR-1200

pjd1

Gobsmackingly good !!!!!! what a song , vocal performance and story line outstanding , with the Dobro etched in that was a stroke of brilliance, your music always touches me with your life storys , always a pleasure to listen to your music and your recording skills , amazing work

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Jean Pierre

Nigel said
QuoteThis is really evocative of depression-era dust bowl USA,
and
Quoteor anywhere that suffered the same fate.

I didn't know what the dust bowl was in the USA...I found on wiki (for those who don't know

QuoteThe Dust Bowl was a period of severe dust storms that greatly damaged the ecology and agriculture of the American and Canadian prairies during the 1930s; severe drought and a failure to apply dryland farming methods to prevent the aeolian processes (wind erosion) caused the phenomenon.[1][2] The drought came in three waves, 1934, 1936, and 1939–1940,

..and indeed Ray's magnificent song can evoke this period of the Great Depression,
Thousands of farmers are thrown onto the roads, heading west. It is believed that about three million people migrated, particularly to California, using Route 66, at the time the main east-west route of the country.

we are unfortunately living in a time of accelerating climate catastrophes around the world which, if we and our political leaders do not react, will mean a sad future for our children and grandchildren.

John Steinbeck, in his novel The Grapes of Wrath, describes this period of American history.

Once again thank you to Ray for making me participate, with my Dobro, in this (sad) very beautiful song

Sources wikipedia Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

IanR

This is gorgeous.

Of course its a story that's been told so often, perhaps most famously by Woody Guthrie.

But I don't think Woody told the story as beautifully.

I really enjoyed this very sad song.

Great work.

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

thetworegs

Excellent storytelling lyrics and the Fodor just enhances the sadness of the story. Bravo chaps on a stellar performance

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Mike_S

Pure class Ray. The story is really well told and performed beautifully. A lot of care taken on that delicate arrangement. Sounds great in headphones, everything sounds crystal clear.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

maxit

Wonderful, moving song. I tought of steinbeck of course as many, not just because of the well known story, but also because the words are so fine, well choosen words ... literature .... Anyway everything just ties together to make the perfect wave, and on top there's Jean Pierre dobro !
recorder
Audacity

TPB

Needed a Bump you know the more I listen to this song The more I like it  this really captures the soul would love to get the chord progression for this song
Bravo again gentlemen
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Farrell Jackson

Fantastic songwriting Ray and JP's dobro is spot on the money! This is a tragic tale and you've told it beautifully in a song. Not a single piece of the puzzle is out of place....well done!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Redler

I'm loving the feel of this song, a bit melanchol and beautiful. Excellent songwriting! JP's additions are just top class!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR