Leaving Our Land

Started by Ray Brookes, February 17, 2021, 12:40:44 PM

Ray Brookes

leaving our land
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I asked Jean pierre (my idol is Jahia) if he would kindly play dobro on this song which he agreed to do. I think he did a fantastic job and many thanks to him.

It's a crazy old world when the bailiffs come calling
With the expenses rising and the crop sales falling
With the bank comes the law through bullhorn bawling
The end of the trying, the end of the stalling

They came in the truck, squad car and Bentley
Hammered in the doors; seized child none too gently
And friends who stood close when the table held plenty
They soon walked away once our pockets were empty

They've taken the farm but taken no pity
We're leaving our land and heading for the city

And the sounds not forgot as the press photographed her
Was the sound of mother crying and the sound of their laughter

They've taken the farm but taken no pity
We're leaving our land and heading for the city

That old rustic charm never looked so pretty
We 're leaving our land and heading for the city.
Ray Brookes

TPB

All I can say is WOW this went straight to the playlist love the picking and the Lyrics  Jean's additions were on the money 
Bravo
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Jean Pierre

Thank you Ray for your trust and for asking me to add some dobro to your beautiful song.

It's really one of SC's strong points to be able to collaborate with good musicians more than 12000km away from home, ...and the opportunity for a more personal e-mail exchange with people of different places, culture, know-how but with a universal common point: the love of music.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Greeny

Beautiful, sensitive and emotive storytelling. Builds so subtly and nicely.

The arrangement and playing is perfect, but I think it's the vocal that really carries this and hits the poignancy home. And that last upwards Dobro note - loved that!

It's a tale I've been interested in for a long time: from Steinbeck's 'The Grapes of Wrath' through to 'King Harvest' by The Band.

This is brilliantly done fellas. And it's great that we have so many great intercontinental collaborations going on.

chapperz66

Wow, this is just stunning.  Great storytelling, impeccable playing and poignant lyrics delivered beautifully.  Awesome.

Paul

BerryPatch

What a melancholic sound you've crafted. It really evokes the images of downtrodden farms, especially when the 12 string kicks in. As Greeny put, great storytelling and the mix is perfection. So much feeling in the dobro playing as well, you did great my idol is jahia!

Ferryman

This is really evocative of depression-era dust bowl USA, or anywhere that suffered the same fate. Haunting lyrics and vocals accompanied by beautiful guitar work from both you and JP. A superbly written song, beautifully played and performed. Well done both of you.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

StephenM

we can't kid ourselves...there is still plenty of this going on today.... maybe not exactly like this... Ray, you hit me right between the eyes with this one... beautifully haunting... I have to choke back the tears with another oreo ......your voice just has that tone...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Gritter

Wow! this is Amazing. Love this. Such a perfect blend of guitars and that vocal is soooo nice. A Really great piece of work here. Well done!

tonyc

everytime i listen to your music ray , i'm laughing my head off . or in this case holding back the tear's . sad sad song . brilliantly performed , and wow what a vocal . and bravo to jean's dobro playing brilliant .......cheers tony cee
recorder
Zoom HD16