Member Status (milestones)

Started by Kody, June 01, 2009, 06:58:10 PM

Bluesberry

Quote from: Gnasty on July 21, 2013, 12:52:41 PMReally, truly, and honestly, it makes no difference to me about these special member status names. I really don`t pay attention to it. I talk and respond to everyone by their avatar name. All i care about is if someone actually makes music. That`s why i am here. To listen and comment.

The rest of the jibberish i say is just that! Jibberish!! It doesn`t deserve a post count. I know i might be off topic, but can`t you make it so post counts only count on commenting on one`s song?

Now that would make a member status or name in high ranking worthy wouldn`t it? And make people comment more no?  Just my opinion and sorry if it`s been mentioned before but i have never seen it.

BAM.........perfectly said.....thats how I feel also....its all about the music......and when the music's over......well you know how that goes..........

Following from Gnasty's great idea, How about some kind of post count weighting system?   Post a song, thats worth 1 post, comment on another song, 1 post worth.............some other kind of threads, jokes, etc......how about 0.25 or even 0.1 posts worth...set it all up, every kind of post worth from 1.0 down to 0.1.........then thats a post count.  Just throwing that out there.............its just talk......and talk is cheap.......and talk is not music........and music is not cheap..........

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Burtog

What about if you take the status as we know it out because it suggest a member of a different level has something to gain over a newbie. Which we know they dont. Everyone has equal opportunity here!

What about if you rank in musical/humour terms, for example;

A newbie would be ---- RANK: Justin Beiber

A 20000 poster would be ---- RANK: Mozart

Filling in the gaps would be fun, Elvis, Hendrix, Lennon, Sinatra, Cobain. blah blah

You could have as many as you want like now - less status more fun????????????????????
recorder
Boss BR-800

Hook

Realizing that this might have been brushed under the carpet, I like the silly status names but i do think that it is just that...silly. It's not as much about status to me but just more about fun, the music is the important part but I like the fun also! My suggestion is that once someone (ORH) hits 20,000 or maybe it should be 3000  ;) they become a Super Villian!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

ODH

Quote from: Hook on July 28, 2013, 09:58:31 PMI like the silly status names but i do think that it is just that...silly.

I tend to agree.  Has anyone got a compelling argument as to why these member status tags are a good thing?  I can see a reason to show that a member is an admin, but hero and super-hero? What does it all mean?  I even question putting the numbers of posts in - if anyone's that interested, they can look on the member profile page.

Maybe there could be an name based on where a member does most of their posting, rather than how much they've posted?  So is a member posts mainly new songs they could be "song-writer", if they post mainly in the just for laughs, then they might be "Joker".  Probably impractical to manage.  Mainly cover songs?  "Plagiarist" or "Tribute Act"...
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

Hilary

Quote from: Nick_ODH on July 29, 2013, 03:08:09 AM
Quote from: Hook on July 28, 2013, 09:58:31 PMI like the silly status names but i do think that it is just that...silly.

I tend to agree.  Has anyone got a compelling argument as to why these member status tags are a good thing? 

I thought it was all a bit weird when I first joined, you all had an alias and were calling yourselves superheros - I imagined you all making music during the day and suiting-up in head to toe latex at night (obviously in my case this is true ;) ) Let's level the field and get rid of them and the post counts, it's all superfluous. I don't even think it matters how many times you comment on someone else's song (please God let's not get into this one again) - what matters is that we are making and listening to music.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Hilary

PS: I'd like mine to be Britney Spears Tribute, please :D
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Greeny

Might be nice to 'freshen' up the status names and milestones, but only as a bit of fun. And it could well be more fun if we inject a bit of humour in there.

Clocking up 'kudos' points should never be a primary reason for anyone to be here. And I can't think of anyone who has played games like that.

As with any online or offline community, it takes a while to establish yourself here, make friends, and be recognised / recognise others. What's good is that we base this more on music and musical participation than the politics and grandstanding that happen on other forums. So I like to think that new members will always get a fair audience and appreciation even if they have a zero post count.

I know Lou Reed never liked the lyric 'You're going to reap just what you sow', but it seems very apt for here. If you treat people with kindness, respect, and show a genuine interest, you're likely to get that mirrored.

I'm just rambling now!

Geir

Wise words Greeny !

Quote from: Greeny on July 29, 2013, 08:27:38 AM......... So I like to think that new members will always get a fair audience and appreciation even if they have a zero post count.......
I think it actually might help ;D ... seriously, I find that this community is very good in welcoming new members and comment on their songs.
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Greeny

Quote from: Geir on July 29, 2013, 09:17:28 AMWise words Greeny !

Quote from: Greeny on July 29, 2013, 08:27:38 AM......... So I like to think that new members will always get a fair audience and appreciation even if they have a zero post count.......
I think it actually might help ;D ... seriously, I find that this community is very good in welcoming new members and comment on their songs.

Exactly. I didn't put it very well though. Blame it on a VERY late flight home last night!

I was trying to say (badly) that good songs don't get ignored, whether it's post 1 or 10,000. And once people get a taste for your stuff they'll be eager and receptive for more.

dasilvasings

My suggestion:

1000: +1 to guitar
2000: +1 to bass
3000: +1 to piano, +1 to instrument of your choice
4000: +2 to guitar, 1d6 HP (always useful when playing live)
etc.
recorder
Boss Micro BR