Member Status (milestones)

Started by Kody, June 01, 2009, 06:58:10 PM

ODH

I agree there should be something at 1,000, but not sure i want to still be a junior at 999 after three years though.
Overdrive - Distortion - Hyperactivity
Yesterdays shatter, tomorrows don't matter

64Guitars

Quote from: Nick_ODH on July 20, 2013, 02:46:37 PMnot sure i want to still be a junior at 999 after three years though.

Well, the actual name could change, depending on how many good suggestions we get. My suggested breakdown was more about the post count requirements for each group than the names. I'm assuming the names will change when we have more good names to work with. Right now, we're a bit limited with only 7 membergroup names. I really don't think we should have too many groups below 1,000 though. Above 1,000, we're only recognizing 1k increments, so I don't think it should be any different below 1,000. I've retained the Newbie group from 0-9 posts because we have so many members who only posted 1 or 2 messages, then never returned. I don't think those members should be in the same category as someone with, say, 500 posts who is still active in the community. But between 10 and 999, I don't think there's any need to break it down further. It should be the milestones at 1k increments that count. So the first significant milestone should be 1,000, not 100, 250, and 500 as we currently have.

Anyway, you'll be at 1,000 in no time, so I don't think you have anything to worry about. :)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Gnasty

I would say getting to the 20,000 post mark would be what we say around here often!!

"Get a freakin life!" status.  ;D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity

launched

It seems to me to be a matter of administrative opinion at this point. Hell, I thought the regime oriented "Veteran Member" was an extreme putoff. There are many non-applicable members that absolutely with no question or dispute helped turn this site around, and they just happened to be a few months shy of that absurd deadline.

Maybe there should be some form of "pay your weight" post requirement, but I don't know. A thousand posts I suppose is not too much to ask to get an active and in standing rating. I do worry about many of my friends here that will never get that far, though. Excellent music makers and collaborators. So I wonder if it should just be about the music and who cares about how many posts you have.

Just my thoughts, shoot me if you have to :)
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

For 10,000 and above, I wonder if we should continue having a new status for each 1K increment. But instead of trying to come up with ten more names for those, maybe we could just add an adjective to the same ten status names we use from 0 to 9999. It would be a lot easier to think of one adjective than to think of ten unique new names. And we could use the same idea for each 10k group. We'll probably need the 30,000-39,999 groups for oldrottenhead in about a year or two. ;)

Just to illustrate:

3000-3999  Hero13000-13999  Hero Grande23000-23999Hero Supreme
5000-5999Super Hero      15000-15999Super Hero Grande      25000-25999Super Hero Supreme

I'm not suggesting we use those specific names and adjectives. I'm just showing the idea. Hopefully, we'll come up with better names and better adjectives. It probably wouldn't work too good with some of the existing names (Full Member Supreme, for example). :)

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: launched on July 20, 2013, 03:49:23 PMIt seems to me to be a matter of administrative opinion at this point.

The final decision is up to the admin team, as always. The reason I posted it publicly here is to gather some suggestions for names. It's always hard to come up with good ones, so the more suggestions we have to choose from, the better.

Quote from: launched on July 20, 2013, 03:49:23 PMHell, I thought the regime oriented "Veteran Member" was an extreme putoff. There are many non-applicable members that absolutely with no question or dispute helped turn this site around, and they just happened to be a few months shy of that absurd deadline.

The membergroups are based only on post counts. Whereas, the idea of the Veteran Member feature was to recognize people who were here in the beginning and are still here taking part in the community. It only considers someone a veteran member if they've logged-in in the last three months. And it's dynamic, so people who are considered veteran members today may not be considered veteran members in the future if they stop logging-in. But their veteran member status could return if they start logging-in again later. It's all automatic. As for the deadline, there has to be one or the whole idea is pointless. And no matter where we set the deadline, some members are going to just miss it.

I'm not sure what you mean by "regime oriented" but I'm guessing you're thinking of the military usage of the word. But the word "veteran" had a meaning long before it was picked up by the military. The main definition in Wikipedia is "A person with long experience of a particular activity." The military usage is presented as a secondary definition.

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/veteran

And I believe the military usage was originally as an adjective, not a noun. So there were originally no "veterans" in terms of the military. There were only "veteran soldiers", "veteran fighter pilots", etc. This usage is not specific to the military. It was, and still is, used to describe longstanding members of many organizations (veteran school teachers, veteran lodge member, veteran musician, etc.) The noun probably appeared later because people were too lazy to say the whole phrase. As an adjective, the word is not specific to the military. And we're using it as an adjective (it's "Veteran Member", not "Veteran"). Also, I don't think the military definition (as a noun) is quite as common outside of the USA.

Quote from: launched on July 20, 2013, 03:49:23 PMA thousand posts I suppose is not too much to ask to get an active and in standing rating. I do worry about many of my friends here that will never get that far, though. Excellent music makers and collaborators. So I wonder if it should just be about the music and who cares about how many posts you have.

Membergroups are a standard feature of the SMF software that runs the site. It came with some default names which Pedro later changed. Then we added a couple more as a result of this topic. It shouldn't be taken too seriously. The purpose isn't to recognize people who are "excellent music makers and collaborators". It's to recognize the people who have contributed to the community by taking the time to post messages. Forums don't work if nobody posts. So it's good to recognize those members who keep the site alive by posting regularly.

It's not a unique feature to Songcrafters. It's not even unique to forums that run SMF. I'm sure most of the other popular forum software has a similar feature. In SMF, it's not optional. We must have at least one post-count membergroup.

Quote from the SMF online documentation:

Please be aware that SMF requires that you have at least one post-count-based membergroup. You can negate this, for the most part, by removing all of the post-count based membergroups except for that one, required group. That one, remaining, membergroup can be given any name. Just ensure that the number of required posts, for that group, is 0 (zero).

So, as long as we have to have one, I think we might as well take advantage of the feature and have enough to mark significant milestones. The people who actively take part in this community and keep it alive deserve a bit of recognition now and then, don't they?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

I never said anything about the military. A regime has nothing to do with the military in many if not most cases. Kind of a shame how you immediately assumed that. I completely understand what the definition of veteran is. There is no need to educate me in any form.

You know what I meant. The fact that you built a gigantic and direct response makes it clear to me that you have absolutely no respect for what I think. I have the right(unrespected priviledge here I suppose) to my opinion and you shat all over it. Not a good thing you did.

I just can't believe it...
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

64Guitars

Quote from: launched on July 20, 2013, 05:12:19 PMI never said anything about the military. A regime has nothing to do with the military in many if not most cases. Kind of a shame how you immediately assumed that. I completely understand what the definition of veteran is. There is no need to educate me in any form.

I was not trying to educate you. I was trying to clarify my points and make it clear that when I chose the phrase "Veteran Member", it had nothing to do with the military usage. I merely chose that phrase to describe our longstanding members who are still active. I'm aware that you didn't say anything about the military. What you said was "regime oriented". I don't know what you meant by that, so I guessed that you meant the military usage of the word. I'm sorry that my guess was wrong. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else.

Quote from: launched on July 20, 2013, 05:12:19 PMYou know what I meant.

No. I don't. If you think it's worth pursuing, by all means, explain what you meant.

Quote from: launched on July 20, 2013, 05:12:19 PMThe fact that you built a gigantic and direct response makes it clear to me that you have absolutely no respect for what I think. I have the right(unrespected priviledge here I suppose) to my opinion and you shat all over it. Not a good thing you did.

I did no such thing. I do respect what you or any other member thinks and everyone here is entitled to their opinion. But I'm entitled to mine too, and I was merely trying to present it as clearly as possible.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

launched

I still can't believe it. As an administrator you are backtracking and engaging with a member that doesn't deserve it. I guess you never really embraced the term "Let it go". I had a soft spot with the veteran member bullshit (As well as many members that would not ever say so), and you proceeded to squash me like a little bug.

I hope it was worth it, and good luck to you in every respect.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Gnasty

Really, truly, and honestly, it makes no difference to me about these special member status names. I really
don`t pay attention to it. I talk and respond to everyone by their avatar name. All i care about is if someone
actually makes music. That`s why i am here. To listen and comment.

The rest of the jibberish i say is just that! Jibberish!! It doesn`t deserve a post count. I know i might be off topic, but can`t you make it so post counts only count on commenting on one`s song?

Now that would make a member status or name in high ranking worthy wouldn`t it? And make people comment more no?  Just my opinion and sorry if it`s been mentioned before but i have never seen it.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Cubase
recorder
Audacity