What amps and how do you record yours?

Started by Sprocket, June 01, 2009, 07:35:01 PM

JasonBR864

I have A microcube which i run in series like this:
Guitar to Tech21 GT2 Sansamp to Microcube to BR864 and 864 to Microcube via headphone jack. I like running this way because it allows me to play back my recordings via the Cube when I want by switching the amp setting to MIC on the cube and push play. The only downside is you cant adjust volume on the cube and you must use the volume/output controls on the 864.

I also have a Peavey 400 watt 260 standard which I slave a Line6 SpiderIII 30w to
and mic it. I tried using the 864's onboard mic a few times and sometimes will have a problem picking up the drums so I solved this problem by just turning that off an running my SM58 to the 864 and putting the mic on a stand off to the left of the drummer in the front of the kit. For the time being it has satisfied what i intended to do. If im doing something wrong please lemme know, i want to improve my live recordings as I progress in my guitar skills:

(2) SM58s to a mackie 12 channel mixer one miking my slave and the bass player and one miking the drums as previosly described. The 864 sits ontop of a SVTpro/gator case when we record live and we use car audio 16ga rca cables from the 864 too the mackie. Once I figure out how to make my stuff into an mp3 I will attempt to load it up in the appropriate thread.

Jason 

OsCKilO

Quote from: Sprocket on June 04, 2009, 11:42:43 PM
Quote from: osckilo on June 04, 2009, 06:22:08 PMWell put Dwardzala :)

I think you responded intially with the kind of response Im looking for.

Cheers Sprocket.....!

I didn't think I was clear enough......

Osckilo Don't really get technical.....
Just do what sounds right at the time....
.....and get drunk doing it! ;D

Peace

T(Osckilo)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Sprocket

Quote from: osckilo on June 05, 2009, 06:56:10 AMCheers Sprocket.....!

I didn't think I was clear enough......

Osckilo Don't really get technical.....
Just do what sounds right at the time....
.....and get drunk doing it! ;D

Peace

T(Osckilo)

Its a clear enough description that I know how to get feedback, and I will be able to use that as a tool in the future.
It doesnt really tell me how to record cleanly, but thats how you use yours and what you use it for.
Its really okay though, I will experiment on my own...and then report my findings.
Ive got 3 very different sized amps, so I will be certain to find info for just about anybody trying to mic an amp with the Sony mic.

Quote from: Davo on June 04, 2009, 06:37:40 PMI cant say I wouldnt have done the same, IF it can used the bassman with an attenuator.

When I had my Deville(65 watts) I had considered an attenuator, but to attenuate properly I would have needed a 130watt attenuator, they dont make one, so a 150watt attenuator would have been my only choice...didnt take me long to figure out a smaller watt amp would be more cost effective, so I began buying smaller and smaller tube amps...and I find a 5 watt Champ does exactly what I want for lower volumes, and all for the price of an attenuator.

Sprocket

FWIW, I havent plugged into a tube amp since testing out the Sony mic a few weeks ago...but I also find myself plugging the MBR and my guitar all in, powering it up...and then walking outside for a smoke :D out of habit or some knee jerk reaction.

guitarron

Quote from: Sprocket on June 16, 2009, 02:59:17 PMFWIW, I havent plugged into a tube amp since testing out the Sony mic a few weeks ago...but I also find myself plugging the MBR and my guitar all in, powering it up...and then walking outside for a smoke :D out of habit or some knee jerk reaction.
funny

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder