What amps and how do you record yours?

Started by Sprocket, June 01, 2009, 07:35:01 PM

hewhoiscalledj

Ah, just reread your post about the other noises in the room... How about trying this: put your amp in the largest closet you have in the house. shut the door and line some blankets over the outside if necessary. Jam away and record. I suppose you could stick the Sony mic in the closet but not right in front of the speaker. Try the corners, up above, everywhere and see how it sounds. just think outside the "box" a little and see what you come up with.

Sprocket

I reckon I just figure with this specific mic and recorder that there must be someone here who might be able to offer me sound advice without learning the entire recording process, about each and every mic and so forth...I just figure asking here I would get specifically information about what Im in search of.

No offense, but Tweakheadz comes off as a massive marketing tool...I cant help but feel I need to spend more money to do what I want to do "properly" just browsing those pages. I also dont like thinking Im about to read an article only to be dumped onto Zzounds site. I think its probably an excellent buying guide, but I dont see any REAL info for the knowledge Im after.

hewhoiscalledj

instant gratification, eh? i'm sure someone will have an answer for you. in defense of tweakheadz, Rich's association with Zzounds is what pays for the ability to maintain the site. Reading thru the guide is part of what I call a free education. But I can also say it's nice to just have answers handed to you directly as its far more convenient than actual research.

peace and good luck!

SdC

Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on June 04, 2009, 02:47:26 PM.... i'm sure someone will have an answer for you...
The answers are already in the 2 pages of replies in this thread for anyone who bothers.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Sprocket

Whoa, dont get me wrong...Im actively pursing my own answers.
I dont think you have considered the search results for "recording an amp with electret condenser mic" and trying various other search terms like "how to"...most searches come back with a history of condenser mics and their wonderful uses...but nothing specific.
And my research isnt without hands on trying to use my mic with my application...its just Im at work and I like to research things, get answers...and then try them out when Im at home.
I may be a newb here, but Im no newb to forums or the idea that one should do some of thier own leg work before posing such newb questions.
FYI, I didnt buy the MBR with the intent of doing any recording...until I found this forum...the products Ive purchased are a dirrect reflection of all that I have learned here within this forum...now I want the rest of the information to using these products...certainly somebody here knows how to mic an amp with this Sony mic with excellent results...Im looking for suggestion...maybe at this point I should just stick in my ass?
And for the record, I kinda get the idea that this is probably the wrong tool for the job, that there are many other more expensive items that I could use to make everything sound more "professional"...but Im under the impression that home recording is about using what youve got an making the best of it.

And you must know that site is difficult to navigate, and the results arent unlike what was mentioned above, history and uses...but nothing specific about mic'ing an amp(with a piece of crap mic like mine)...if Im wrong, please just point me in the right direction...its not like Im asking you to hold the mic while I play.

Sprocket

Quote from: SdC on June 04, 2009, 03:27:53 PM
Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on June 04, 2009, 02:47:26 PM.... i'm sure someone will have an answer for you...
The answers are already in the 2 pages of replies in this thread for anyone who bothers.

Really? How far away from the amp? What are they using to hold or prop this mic up with? Would I be better suited to mic it in front or behind? Could I actually mic it from 10 inches away? Center? Off-center?

Im just looking for a conversation and an exchange of ideas with people who might already know the answers to my many questions.
Its not like this is my first resort, I have searched...but my questions are still unresolved.

dwardzala

Sprocket, it is actually a difficult question to answer.  All amps are bit different (even ones of the same model), then there is the room acoustics, the type of tone you are looking for and a number of other factors that go into mic'ing an amp and getting it to sound good (which, by the way, has an infinite number of definitions as well).

Several posters, including mysel, have indicated some ways of solving your extraneous noise problems (play louder, putting the amp/mic in a closet, building an enclosure, etc).

As far as mic placement relative to the amp, it really depends a lot on what kind of sound you think is good and really can only be determined by experimentation.

Also, much of home recording can not be acquired from reading books and the internet, but must be gathered through experience.

My recommendation is to set some time aside from "recording" to experiment.  Play a 30 sec riff or progression through your amp at a certain setting with a mic in a certain place (take some notes or even pictures) and then listen to it.  Try a different placement of the mic or a differnt level on your amp and do it again.  You will (eventually) find the "sweet spots" for amp placement and level setting.  You will also learn how to change the tone of your sound by altering the parameters.

Unfortunately, one size doesn't fit all in this case.  Look at this as part of the journey into home recording, because it is a never ending journey.
Dave

BR-600

OsCKilO

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Davo

Quote from: Sprocket on June 03, 2009, 05:09:20 PM
Quote from: Davo on June 03, 2009, 03:26:55 PMI use a modded Hot Rod Deluxe, and a Randall RG-80.  Ive used line outs, and my SM-58.  Now its easier to go direct into the Micro BR, or my GT-8 though.

The HRD sounds wonderful and the RG80 isnt bad, I aquired it for 25 dollars.  Not bad for an American made amp that sounds great and has the best spring reverb Ive ever heard.  Sometimes I split the signals and play in stereo, it sounds wonderful.

I love the Hotrod series especially the Deluxe and the Blues Jr.
But would you believe I traded a Hotrod Deville 410 for that tasty Bassman pictured above???
I'll admit I find it terribly easy to just plug into the MBR...but I sooo got have some tube tone, Im gonna hafta find away to mic em with "the Sony" mic...and I suspect Im probably gonna have better luck with one of my Champs

I cant say I wouldnt have done the same, IF it can used the bassman with an attenuator.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sprocket

Quote from: osckilo on June 04, 2009, 06:22:08 PMWell put Dwardzala :)

I think you responded intially with the kind of response Im looking for.

Quote from: osckilo on June 04, 2009, 05:24:30 AMFeedback fills out gaps in some of our tunes..... 

Where the base is too much a bit of feedback seems to balance it out for some reason......

Record whatever you are laying down.... Then on the other tracks play back what you have recorded on through the amp, whilst recording....

Get the mic far enough away and the loudness set up so the feedback stops, and you will find that you will be able to control it with the intensity of what you are playing.........

Seems to work well with one of these....

See, this is a perscription for feedback...you obviously use the "Sony" mic to record your amp. So you are actually able to answer questions about using it.
Granted it may not work as perscribed, but youve got me in the ballpark.
I see youve got a hollybody with P-90s...I instanly know that pickup is hotter than my single coils and I will have to add more heat to compensate and may have to account for the hollowbody...but you got me in the ballpark...all because you use the product in question and have some Sony mic knowledge to relay.

You didnt send me links to effects processors...or lecture me on how difficult recording really is...I know that was meant to be helpful and with good intentions, but if you dont have the product knowledge to relay, of course its a "difficult question to answer".
In guitar forums thats known as the "tone is in the hands" lecture...for some reason I almost take it as insult...but Im aware the intentions were good and much effort went into typing it.

I get it, recording is difficult, you guys know alot about it and you make great songs...thanks for just letting me be apart of this community...and here I though Id just bought a rythmn trainer *shrug* ...and thanks for tollerating me and my insistant questions.