What amps and how do you record yours?

Started by Sprocket, June 01, 2009, 07:35:01 PM

OsCKilO

Tis a thing of Wonder!!!!!!!

We Record it with a fake Sony Condensor Mic (£4.99 on Ebay)....... 
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Sprocket

Quote from: osckilo on June 02, 2009, 07:57:10 PM[img width=550 height=514]Tis a thing of Wonder!!!!!!!

We Record it with a fake Sony Condensor Mic (£4.99 on Ebay)....... 

Okay, now you are just teasing me...youve got a modeling amp...and you mic it with exact same mic Ive got.
So make with the details, please?
How far away?
How loud?
Settings on the input side that work?

How do you make that mic work for you and your amp? And those awesome recordings!

hewhoiscalledj

Laney VH100R... i call it the Beast  The cab is a vintage early 80's Marshall 1960 w/ Celestion V30s and GH12s. When I've recorded at a pro-studio, it was mic'd up with an SM57 about an inch off the grill, slightly off axis about a couple inches away from the center of the speaker. this took a little of the brightness away from my guitar's clean sound. another speaker was similarly mic'd dead on center for my distorted tones to help them stand out more. there was also a stereo pair of shure 81s on the opposite end of the recording room which was blended in on some songs for more ambience (i think just on my clean tones on some songs.)

With what i learned from that experience, i've been trying out similar techniques on my own.

Davo

I use a modded Hot Rod Deluxe, and a Randall RG-80.  Ive used line outs, and my SM-58.  Now its easier to go direct into the Micro BR, or my GT-8 though.

The HRD sounds wonderful and the RG80 isnt bad, I aquired it for 25 dollars.  Not bad for an American made amp that sounds great and has the best spring reverb Ive ever heard.  Sometimes I split the signals and play in stereo, it sounds wonderful.
To be pleased with one's limits is a wretched state.
- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Sprocket

Quote from: Davo on June 03, 2009, 03:26:55 PMI use a modded Hot Rod Deluxe, and a Randall RG-80.  Ive used line outs, and my SM-58.  Now its easier to go direct into the Micro BR, or my GT-8 though.

The HRD sounds wonderful and the RG80 isnt bad, I aquired it for 25 dollars.  Not bad for an American made amp that sounds great and has the best spring reverb Ive ever heard.  Sometimes I split the signals and play in stereo, it sounds wonderful.

I love the Hotrod series especially the Deluxe and the Blues Jr.
But would you believe I traded a Hotrod Deville 410 for that tasty Bassman pictured above???
I'll admit I find it terribly easy to just plug into the MBR...but I sooo got have some tube tone, Im gonna hafta find away to mic em with "the Sony" mic...and I suspect Im probably gonna have better luck with one of my Champs

OsCKilO

Quote from: Sprocket on June 02, 2009, 09:51:42 PMOkay, now you are just teasing me...youve got a modeling amp...and you mic it with exact same mic Ive got.
So make with the details, please?
How far away?
How loud?
Settings on the input side that work?

How do you make that mic work for you and your amp? And those awesome recordings!

Feedback fills out gaps in some of our tunes..... 

Where the base is too much a bit of feedback seems to balance it out for some reason......

Record whatever you are laying down.... Then on the other tracks play back what you have recorded on through the amp, whilst recording....

Get the mic far enough away and the loudness set up so the feedback stops, and you will find that you will be able to control it with the intensity of what you are playing.........

Seems to work well with one of these....

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR
OsCKilO websites:  weebly.com  MySpace  SoundClick  ReverbNation
OsCKilO Albums:  "Masks"  "Easy London"

Also on Twitter for Live stuff..
Divert and sublimate your anger and potentially virulent emotions to creative energy

Sprocket

Come on, quit teasin me...you record all of that dark sinister stuff on a Tri-cone replica with a p-90???

So are you mic'ing the amp to record your guitar parts?
Or Just to induce feedback during playback?

Im really curious as to how far away from the amp your mic'ing it?
If youre using any kinda of stand for the mic?(I cant seem to come up with any ideas)
And is there a loudness to distance mic'd ratio/recipe?
The feedback thing is interesting, Im sure I will experiment with that technique but Im more interested in recording my amps cleanly with this mic...so any other tips would be greatly appreciated.

If I was using an SM57 Im certain I could find all the pertinent info on mic'ing an amp...but Im assuming this electret condenser is gonna behave much differently...so Im looking for you experienced MBR veterans to learn me what to do, get me in the ball park, please???

hewhoiscalledj

Any type of condenser mic, like the Sony Electret that many of us now have (even if they are fakes!) will be very sensitive are well suited for capturing acoustic guitars. The trick with the Sony Electret is that if it were placed close to a loud, distorted electric guitar cab/speaker, it will likely distort itself because it cant handle the high noise pressure (SPLs) Because of this, dynamic mics like the SM57 and Sennheiser MD421s are popular for close micing distorted guitars. Does that make sense? A great use for that sony mic in this setting, would be as a supplemental mic or room mic while still close micing the cab/speaker w/ a dymanic mic.

Great reading on this kind of stuff here: http://www.tweakheadz.com  check out the guide and read up on the different uses for each type of microphone. I read this kind of stuff daily as the info never ends...

Sprocket

Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on June 04, 2009, 12:29:01 PMGreat reading on this kind of stuff here: http://www.tweakheadz.com  check out the guide and read up on the different uses for each type of microphone. I read this kind of stuff daily as the info never ends...

You know, Ive seen your posted links to that page...but I gotta tell you, I find it really difficult to navigate it...as I dont really know what Im looking for and there is so much information its a lil overwhelming. But I will give it another whirl.

[edit] I found this there...but it still doesnt give me any indication of how to use what Ive got.

hewhoiscalledj

Yeah, the site seems like its overflowing with stuff, but after clicking on the guide, just stick to the left column of articles depending on what you are lookind for... Seriously, I'm reading thru all of them as time allows.

Try these articles for recording guitar: http://www.tweakheadz.com/guitarists_guide_to_recording.htm
http://www.tweakheadz.com/getting_a_great_guitar_tone.htm

Recording can be as simple as you want it to be. I guess I enjoy pain and suffering as part of my art form.... LOL. The knowledge is out there... you just have to sift thru it and do the time.

Peace out.