Anybody here use other (GASP!) mixing equipment besides your BR?

Started by dwardzala, June 01, 2009, 06:25:59 PM

guitarron

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: SdC on June 02, 2009, 06:08:37 AMI also have a BR600. When it's hooked up in "studio 1" (the study) it receives it's line-in signal from a 12-channel mixer. I've hooked up my various mic's and guitar boxes and synths to that, so I don't  have to mess about with cables during a recording session.
It just takes a second to unplug the BR and take it into Studio 2 (living  room) or whereever, and I plug in a guitar directly (I often start writing a song this way then take it to Studio 1  to finish the rest)

I do all mixdowns and mastering on the BR itself (so far)

What kind of mixer are you using, if you don't mind me asking. I'm thinking about picking one up and I am unsure which one to get.

Thanks

SdC

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on June 02, 2009, 02:25:29 PMWhat kind of mixer are you using, if you don't mind me asking. I'm thinking about picking one up and I am unsure which one to get.

Thanks
It's an Alesis 12R. No specific technical reason; just needed a 19' rack unit with 2 aux sends, and the shop had it in surplus stock so i got a good deal. Fortunately it's very low noise and has decent mic preamps. Only 2 band EQ though, so in live situations a bit limited, but fine for recording. Before, I had a Soundcraft Spirit Folio that I was extremely happy with but it was killed in action. It's difficult to give advice; there's so much choice. Personally, I stay clear of Behringer and Mackie.

recorder
Boss BR-600

Saijinn Maas

Quote from: SdC on June 02, 2009, 02:37:34 PM
Quote from: Saijinn Maas on June 02, 2009, 02:25:29 PMWhat kind of mixer are you using, if you don't mind me asking. I'm thinking about picking one up and I am unsure which one to get.

Thanks
It's an Alesis 12R. No specific technical reason; just needed a 19' rack unit with 2 aux sends, and the shop had it in surplus stock so i got a good deal. Fortunately it's very low noise and has decent mic preamps. Only 2 band EQ though, so in live situations a bit limited, but fine for recording. Before, I had a Soundcraft Spirit Folio that I was extremely happy with but it was killed in action. It's difficult to give advice; there's so much choice. Personally, I stay clear of Behringer and Mackie.

Funny you mention those makes. I WAS looking at a Behringer. But it is rather difficult to gauge how good it is when all the "reviews" are so high. Too many "This is the best mixer ever!" from people who never tried anything else I guess.

Thanks ;)

hewhoiscalledj

On the cheap, you really cant go wrong with Yamahas MG mixers. Not that they are the best, but at their price points, its tough finding a comparable mixer with useable, transparent and quiet pre's. It just really depends on your budget and what you want out of the mixer.

$100 well spent on this: http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMG102C

I happen to think Mackies are nice (the VLZ Pros and the Onyx anyway...) but I love Soundcraft mixers as they have super nice EQs and great sounding pre's.

SdC

Quote from: hewhoiscalledj on June 02, 2009, 02:42:39 PM.... but I love Soundcraft mixers as they have super nice EQs and great sounding pre's.
funny you mention that as well. They're used a LOT in pro PA setups too. I think I'll start looking around for a second hander again....

recorder
Boss BR-600

hewhoiscalledj

Soundcraft's compact series of mixers are handly little utilitarian mixers. Be careful shopping though... mixers come in many forms for different purposes (digital vs analog, live vs recording, 2bus, 4bus, 8bus etc...)

check this out before shopping: http://tweakheadz.com/choosing_a_mixer_for_your_studio.html

Kody

I have an Alesis Multimix12 firewire....I have it racked up in my "studio"...It's perfect for my needs, enough inputs to mic a drumset, useable effects, and it has firewire.  It's nice to have that option if you want to do some recording on PC software....

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

SdC

Quote from: Saijinn Maas on June 02, 2009, 02:40:58 PM
Quote from: SdC on June 02, 2009, 02:37:34 PM... Personally, I stay clear of Behringer and Mackie.

Funny you mention those makes. I WAS looking at a Behringer. But it is rather difficult to gauge how good it is when all the "reviews" are so high. Too many "This is the best mixer ever!" from people who never tried anything else I guess.

Thanks ;)
I don't go by reviews (well, some) but mostly of seeing/hearing the stuff in the real world. With mackie, i might be a bit prejudiced but I remember a recording session with friends on mostly behringer equipment and it took several days for the hiss to leave my ears

recorder
Boss BR-600

dwardzala

Great conversation!  Its always good to see what other people are doing - seems pretty common practice to use the BR as a recorder/effects/drum machine but do all the mixing on a PC.
Dave

BR-600