10 bands you cannot live without

Started by StephenM, February 02, 2021, 08:21:48 PM

StephenM

If you were stranded on an island with no hope of being rescued, maybe ever, but you have your phone and solar charger....but the island is in the middle of nowhere...with no one else there and no internet...*.  You can have only 10 bands music with you....Who would they be?

Here's mine.(not necessarily in this order)
1.  Journey   2.  Asia   3.  Yes*   4.  Bad Company   5.  The Who   6.  Rush   7.  Pat Benatar   8.  Heart   9.  *Kansas   10.  Englebert Humperdink (just kidding...just kidding)  10.  Simon and Garfunkel (*because I would really need to hear "like a bridge over troubled water" in this situation....)
gosh...I would be happy but also not... because there are so many I love...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Greeny

David Bowie
The Beatles
The Doors
Steely Dan
Kate Bush
Roxy Music
The Band
Japan
The Smiths
The Kinks

bruno

1/ Pink Floyd - although I could argue that the songs are ingrained in my brain, so I don't need to listen to them
2/ Black Sabbath - Ozzy and RJD !!
3/ Asia - songs of my teenage years, even the last album was fantastic, Gatto Nero ...
4/ Yes - need for some complexity to while away the hours
5/ John Wetton solo - you will need a spiritual uplift, may be able to sneak in some UK albums here
6/ Toto - you will want to sing loudly to hold the line on the island, what a back catelogue of tunes
7/ Marc Jordan or Sting - songwriting to the limit, fragile or rhythm of my heart?
8/ Bach or Beethoven - don't want to go all Spinal Tap on you, but I do have a classical background. I have always loved both. Back catalog for both is massive, so a lot of bang per buck.
9/ Magnum - pompous rock to infinity, and I've always had a thing for this band. Seems them loads of times.
10/ Extreme - Nuno is probably my favorite guitarist ever

I will change my mind in 10 minutes

B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Mike_S

Rory Gallagher
Big Country
Prefab Sprout
Rush
Boston
Gary Moore
Mark Knopfler (inc Dire Straits)
The Smiths
Robert Johnson (would need something from one of the old bluesmen where it all began)
Songcrafter Mixtape (if the rules allowed)

If I could stuff a few more into my bag with no one noticing they would be... Rainbow, CCR and Pink Floyd

recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Ha! I need room for Prefab Sprout and Pink Floyd.

Mike_S

recorder
iPad GarageBand

bruno

I cant believe I left RUSH off! I'm going to have to rework that then

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Ferryman

The Beatles
Genesis (only until Gabriel left, I'd top myself if I had to listen to the rest of their stuff..... ;))
Amon Duul II
Can
Roxy Music
Psychedelic Furs
Magazine
Brian Eno
Killing Joke
Ghost Brigade (obscure Finnish doom metal band)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bluesberry

Hahaha...this is difficult...it is also a real neat look at everybody's personalities a little bit...the music you love says something for sure....I wrote down a list and came up with 23 artists off the top of my head....damn I had to knock that down to only 10 ...difficult...here are mine, as of this morning...in no order:

The Beatles - including Paul McCartney solo
The Kinks
Genesis (Peter Gabriel era and up to Duke)
King Crimson
Rory Gallagher
Bruce Cockburn
Flaming Lips
Neil Young
Rush
Wilco

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

It's impossible for me to choose 10 because there are so many artists that I like and listen to now and again. But the one "must have" artist for me is Jimi Hendrix. I've loved his music my entire life and never grow tired of it. Some other longtime favourites (to name a few) are Rush, King Crimson, Strawbs, T Rex, Mountain, Linda Ronstadt, The Beatles, The Kinks, Jethro Tull, and Genesis (especially with Peter Gabriel, but I like some of the post-Gabriel stuff too).

But there are so many other artists that I've enjoyed listening to over the years, I really can't say which are my current top 10, other than to say that Hendrix would definitely be at the top of the list. In recent months, I've mostly been listening to opera and classical music.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website