Minimalism: The case for the boss BR recorder series in 2021

Started by WarpCanada, February 02, 2021, 02:27:35 PM

64Guitars

Quote from: T.C. Elliott on February 03, 2021, 04:10:34 AMI've found the instrument input jack is giving me constant static/noise. It may be time to finally move on from the BR line.

I wouldn't abandon the BR just because of a noisy guitar jack. It shouldn't be very hard to fix. It's probably just a bad solder connection. I'd open the case and have a look. You'll probably find that the connection of the shield/ground terminal has come off the circuit board. Just solder it back in place and it should be good as new. If that doesn't sound like the sort of job you'd like to tackle yourself, I'm sure that any decent electronics repair shop can do it for you. And it should cost a lot less than buying a new multitrack recorder. Even if the jack turns out to be broken, a replacement jack shouldn't cost more than $4.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: cuthbert on February 03, 2021, 07:35:29 PMI noticed that the later picture that oldrottenhead posted of his well-worn MBR is no longer present in that thread. Just had a quick dig on Facebook and found it posted in the Boss Micro br group:

Thanks. I updated the broken links to point to your attachment.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: WarpCanada on February 02, 2021, 02:27:35 PMWho is with me and loves their BR?
Yep. I still love my BR-864 which I've now had for just over 17 years.

Quote from: WarpCanada on February 02, 2021, 02:27:35 PMIf yours broke, would you buy another BOSS, the MIcro BR,  or a similar box from Zoom, or Tascam?
I like buying new products rather than used, and the only BR still available new from Boss is the BR-80 which is too small for my needs. So, if I had to replace my BR-864, I'd probably buy a Tascam DP-24SD or a DP-03SD. The DP-24SD has way more tracks than I need but I like its features, especially the colour LCD display.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

StephenM

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 03, 2021, 08:42:54 PM
Quote from: WarpCanada on February 02, 2021, 02:27:35 PMWho is with me and loves their BR?
Yep. I still love my BR-864 which I've now had for just over 17 years.

Quote from: WarpCanada on February 02, 2021, 02:27:35 PMIf yours broke, would you buy another BOSS, the MIcro BR,  or a similar box from Zoom, or Tascam?
I like buying new products rather than used, and the only BR still available new from Boss is the BR-80 which is too small for my needs. So, if I had to replace my BR-864, I'd probably buy a Tascam DP-24SD or a DP-03SD. The DP-24SD has way more tracks than I need but I like its features, especially the colour LCD display.

I thought about getting the Tascam... they have the one with an actual mixing board and 30 track recorder... that would be cool, especially if you are doing live sound for bands and want to record.... i read a lot of reviews on them...in the end I stayed with my BR1600s for now...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Oldrottenhead

Quote from: cuthbert on February 03, 2021, 07:35:29 PM
Quote from: 64Guitars on February 03, 2021, 07:16:22 PM
Quote from: hooper on February 03, 2021, 04:29:41 PMI remember a while back a pic was posted of your well-worn M-BR. It was beautiful and awe- inspiring.  (Really, Boss should have sent you some reward...)
Is there any chance of seeing that again?

I assume you mean this topic from 2010:

https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=7352.0

But that was over 10 years ago. I think Oldrottenhead should update that topic with some new pictures so we can see what's left of it. :)

I noticed that the later picture that oldrottenhead posted of his well-worn MBR is no longer present in that thread. Just had a quick dig on Facebook and found it posted in the Boss Micro br group:

Holy Sandblasters!

Did Roland/BOSS ever send you a case for it, James? They should have sent a recognition plaque as well...  ;D
yes roland sent me a leather case for it, but was for a br80 i'm sure i passed it on to a br80 owner.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

alfstone

IMO, actually the best choice is the Tascam Model 12.

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

StephenM

Quote from: Oldrottenhead on February 03, 2021, 09:30:22 AMI replied to this thread earlier but it got lost in the ethernet, so i will try and recall what i said.

I have had my MicroBR since this site started. And like Greeny have done a few thousand songs on it.  I progressed a few years back to the BR800 but still used my MicroBr for vocals. Since i got a Macbook last year, my BR800 has lay unused. I take my MicroBr with me everywhere, as i can turn it on when i get inspiration and capture that before i forget it. With garageBand i find it quite quick to set up and get going, unlike Cubase on my PC, that needs configured for whatever i happen to be using at any given time. I try to do everything onboard theMacbook now, however like on the BR800 i still tend to use the MicroBR for vocals, whilst i struggle to find a way to work with mics that matches what i get from the MicroBR. Of late i have used the MicroBR quite a lot, but not for my own songwriting. i work in residential child care, and the boys i work with are learning to use it to write their own songs. it can be a bit sore on the ears but is quite rewarding. One young boy can work it with his eyes closed now, despite all the wording and marking on the buttons being worn away with years of use.
Like Greeny if my MicroBr died i would replace it immediately.

I love hearing about you working with the boys on songwriting...that is incredible...!!!!!!! good on ya mate

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Flash Harry

Quote from: 64Guitars on February 03, 2021, 07:16:22 PM
Quote from: hooper on February 03, 2021, 04:29:41 PMI remember a while back a pic was posted of your well-worn M-BR. It was beautiful and awe- inspiring.  (Really, Boss should have sent you some reward...)
Is there any chance of seeing that again?

I assume you mean this topic from 2010:

https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=7352.0

But that was over 10 years ago. I think Oldrottenhead should update that topic with some new pictures so we can see what's left of it. :)

there is still a painting in the attic
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ted

I asked a similar question last year: BR 800 is Nine Years Old — Still worth considering?

I still haven't made the leap to a BR 800; still sticking with the Micro BR as my core device (and cheating from time to time with Garageband and Audacity).

But the other day I was taking to someone with a BR 600, who had never really gotten around to learning how to use it. Rather than telling him to dig in and learn the gadget, I found myself saying, If you haven't learned it yet, you should probably go straight to Garageband on an iPad

Myself, I don't think I'll go that route. I'm going to stick to my Micro BR. I have an extra one (that I fried almost 12 years ago) for spare parts.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Audacity
recorder
GarageBand for Mac

WarpCanada

I have an ipad, and the trouble with ipads is that (A) the built-in mic is rubbish and (B) the experience of buying an audiointerface and plugging it into the ipad is not fun and (C) the idea of a direct attached high quality microphone that works with ipad and is self powered is appealing but I haven't found one I would recommend YET.

In 2021, since Boss seems to have exited the market,I think a single purpose TASCAM or ZOOM recorder might be the heir apparent.  I would miss the nice Rhythm features built into the Boss, and the nice COSM stuff that BOSS has that nobody else does just that well.  Maybe since ZOOM also makes Guitar pedals, they might get this right some day?

Also not fun with ipad is that you are basically using a full powered DAW like Garageband or Cubasis on iPad and that's not much different from using a full PC daw.

The Boss recorder's microphones are just SO good for the price and overall, nothing else on the market makes me happy. I hope mine don't break.
There's just something minimalist and distraction free about the Boss BR units, that an ipad with its wifi and games and web browser is not.  Distractions are where you sit down to record a song and end up playing candy crush or doom-scrolling on Facebook or Reddit instead of creating art.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada