Phil Spector dead at 81

Started by Farrell Jackson, January 17, 2021, 11:22:59 AM

Farrell Jackson

As crazy as he was he had a profound impact on the future sound of pop music with his Wall of Sound technique. I didn't realize, until I read the headlines,  that he was held in a prison/hospital about 30 miles from my house.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-55697979
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Greeny

An insane, flawed genius. You probably couldn't have one without the other. I've always loved his 'sound' and obsessive attention to detail. My overriding memory though is the footage of him At Lennon's house chain-smoking and producing imagine. Well, I say producing, but he had to sit there with Yoko telling him how it should sound.

pjd1

RIP Phil Spector , he will be remembered for his producing some of the finest hits , his wall of sound in the studio .
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

StephenM

there is a fine line between brilliance and crazy.... probably like alot of us...a little or a lot of both....however, his enormous talent shined around the world...RIP sir....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

cuthbert

He was both a genius who wrote and / or produced classic songs for the ages, and also a dangerous fellow with his fetish for intimidation with handguns. RIP, Phil Spector.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnWOBMQhNBQ
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Greeny

Of course, there's also the matter of the huge influence that Spector had on Brian Wilson's production sound / ethos (although Brian was so full of demons that he thought Phil was talking to him and goading him through cinema screens). It made for a rivalry that pushed Brian to unbelievable heights though.