Best Two First (debut) albums ever

Started by StephenM, January 15, 2021, 01:16:03 PM

StephenM

I thought an interesting topic would be which band(s) do you think had the very best first two albums ever and maybe a little about why you think this....
My favorite band is Kansas but it took them 4 and 5 to peak...so nope...
I could pick Boston but as much as I liked their second album I don't think overall they beat some others, although I would pick their first album as the best debut album ever....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

Likely sales wise it would be Adele I think.... or it could be Boston...they both would be close....
Boston's second album sold 4 million copies in the first month of it's release (I wore that cassette out, along with Foreigners Double Vision and the Cars Candy O).....

your choice could depend on your taste in music...or if you went strictly statistical....

My top choices are 1.  Foreigner...... because the first album had enough hits (Long Long Way From Home, Cold As Ice) but every song on the first album was massively good....Starrider...my favorite Foreigner song of many great songs.... and At War With The World....Woman O Woman..... to me this album was loaded with AOR hits.... I don't think there was any "filler".....  Double Vision album had the title track plus the epic hit "Hot Blooded"..... and there was another personal favorite "Spellbinder".... "Lonely Children"...."Blue Morning, Blue Day".... the second album overall not as strong as the first for me...but dang near....
2.  Boston.... Just too great a band and "Don't Look Back" and "A Man I"ll Never Be" are plain great songs..... the first album is off the charts... and contains my favorite all time song "More Than A Feeling." 
3.  The Cars....  (The Cars and Candy-O)
4.  Asia (The first album had 3 smash hits) second album had all really good songs...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

maxit

easy as sad, nick drake first (and almost last) 2 albums.
recorder
Audacity

Tangled Wires

Probably go for Definitely Maybe and What's the Story Morning Glory by Oasis, as I still don't think there is a weak track on either of them and they sound as relevant today as they did 25 years ago. They set the bar so high that it was almost impossible to follow on their subsequent albums, although there was still many bright spots on all of them.

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Ryan Adams - 'Heartbreaker' followed by 'Gold'.

Oldrottenhead

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

T.C. Elliott

Jimi Hendrix had the best first three albums of all time. He's gotta be in the discussion for first two, right?
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Ferryman

For me it's Roxy Music - Roxy Music and For Your Pleasure. Innovative, inventive, blending elements of glam, rock, pop and prog into something new. They were pretty commercially successful as well. The best lineup of the group with some unique talents. 

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

chapperz66

I can't argue with any of the suggested albums so far, so I will simply suggest another for consideration.  Kingdom of Madness by Magnum.  I hadn't heard of them until I saw them supporting another band at the Hammersmith Odeon.  I can't remember who the headline act was, but it  was the Magnum performance which grabbed me. The first album is very good.

In fact I might go and get the CD out in a minute and give the neighbours something to think about