Anyone ever taken some vocal lessons?

Started by WarpCanada, January 13, 2021, 09:37:05 AM

WarpCanada

As a home songwriter and completely untrained in vocal technique, I'm considering finding a vocal coach, to help me user my own instrument (which is me) better.

Anyone ever done that? Did it help?
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Hello!
I am part of a band called Tangled Wires. We have been part of this site for many years, although life kinda got in the way. I'm hopeful of a huge return, as we have one in the pipeline for 2021!! We have been recording together with me on vocals for over ten years, and I gotta say, my voice took the strain!!
I took a few breathing and control lessons with a singing teacher, so I could support my voice as I aged... it's a thing...!! and I've got to say, I think my voice is stronger now than it has ever been! I would strongly recommend learning to control and breathe. It'll support the muscles that control the vocal chords. Good luck!
Sasha x

Hilary

I've had singing lessons too and it taught me how to protect and take care of my voice, vocal techniques and warm ups and breathing techniques etc- what I wasn't so keen on was she tried to make me sound like everyone else. I guess it's like anything else you take what you want out of it and ignore everything else.

If you sing a lot - you absolutely have to learn how to treat your voice properly!

Also the stronger your voice is the quicker you it bounces back after illness.
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Ray Brookes

I once tried vocal lessons then the teacher promptly resigned, suggesting I take up golf instead. So, these days I couldn't give a rat's arse what I sing like as my options of joining a boy band are getting less every day.

Having said that, Warren I think a professional vox coach is a good idea if you can find a good one. He/she will teach you how to control your breathing, phrasing etc and how to present your natural voice.
Ray Brookes

Lurker

I had some vocal training when I was young (the music was etched on clay tablets), and that's about all I've learned how to do with any proficiency.

I have to agree with what has been said already. Breath control is essential. I have established a warm up routine that I employ before every session. This is as much for breathing mechanics as it is for warming up the vocal cords. A good vocal coach can train you in these techniques. You might also discover different voicings that suit different songs.

A nice warm cup of tea is not out of place either.

The short answer is no, I've had no musical training whatsoever. We had music lessons at school but I usually spent my time in the entrance hall doing lines for some misdemeanour. I managed to get three or four chords together and formed a band but I always jokingly said, the rest of the band hired a roady just to keep me away from a Mike. The bands I played in usually had good harmonies and I really wanted to join in but no, they just couldn't seem to fit me in. However, I couldn't find anything in the small print in Songcrafters that prohibited me from trying to sing so for anyone out there who is nervous about singing in public just do it because everyone has something in their voice that can be captivating, enchanting or beautiful.
Stay safe Willie
recorder
Boss BR-800

WarpCanada

It is nice that we can do whatever we like and sing without any permits.   I do like the idea of learning how to take good care of my voice.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Greeny

I'm untrained (and untrainable, lol), but there's things I've learned about singing by osmosis. Just observations from an open mic performer.

1. Anyone with a truly great voice is born with it. They can learn how to hone it, but it's either there or it isn't. Singing techniques are just peripheral improvements to what's already there. If you really can't sing, lessons will only help cover that up a bit.

2. Hardly anyone has a truly great voice. But there's nothing wrong with 'adequate'. Adequate can get you a long way. Especially if you're a singer-songwriter: delivering your own music doesn't need amazing vocal skills, and listeners allow for that as part of the 'package'. And I should f*cking know, lol.

3. Being great doesn't matter anyway. Dylan, Cohen, Nick Cave, Knopfler and Bernard Sumner (the tone deaf one from New Order) can't sing. And yet they can. They have made art from their inability and turned it into something that works in a legendary way.

4. Know your limitations. Know what you CAN'T sing and avoid it. As an example, I had to bail on a cover of '50 ways to leave your lover' recently as there was a note I simply couldn't reach without it sounding too horrible for human consumption.

5. Experience and practice. Get to know what styles and keys and ranges you're most comfortable with. Learn how to phrase things.

6. Don't be afraid to try and fail. Failing is learning.

7. Sing it like you mean it.

8. Be yourself. Be influenced, but don't try to sing like someone else or mimic what's 'fashionable'. It breaks my heart how young girls especially think they are all supposed to sound the same.

9. Have a good mic. It's only taken me 40 years to discover this.

10. Stand up. No sitting or slouching. Give it like you're properly performing.

11. Perform live. I learned SO much about my voice and performing with it from all those open mics I've done.

12. Use a capo. Most songs aren't in 'my' key. Capo on 2nd or 3rd fret usually does the trick for me.

13. Serve the song, not showing off your vocal talent.

14. Know when to belt it and when to reign it in.

15. Don't take yourself too seriously.

pjd1

Thats some really good sound Advice from Tim , on a few occasions in the past i have had the chance to sing with a band and pick some songs that "i can get away with" done a few gigs to some not bad feedback , but i sort of know where my limits are , but i have worked with singers who can just sing no questions asked, and find it effortless to pull it off in front of a audience , so i agree you are born with the "singing gift" but there are some really great points in that list he has made , and i will take on board as much of that advice as i can , good stuff

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Hilary

Here's some tips about protecting the voice if you are going to do a lot of singing:

Never ever sing with a sore throat (not even humming) as it can cause little tears on the edges of the vocal chords that won't heal.

Likewise - don't sing with a cough - it will aggravate the vocal chords and perpetuate the cough.

Avoid dairy products like icecream and chocolate, they coat the vocal chords - sad face.

Avoid spirits not just on the day but the day before too - really dries out the vocal chords - sad face.

Drink plenty of water not just on the night of singing but during the day too.

Don't sing without warming up - even if it's just humming the song through first (it's just like any other muscle).

Learn to breathe from the stomach not the chest (stomach expands when you breathe in and contracts when you breathe out).

If you rely on your singing voice as a profession - I would advise at least 30 mins of warm ups, scales each day - the fitter your voice is the quicker it recovers after an illness.

Any illness will affect the quality of your voice - even if it's a bad foot.

You get a different tone when you sit down and sing as opposed to standing up (something about compressing the diaphram).

You will have a sweet spot in your range where you will naturally sound the best (resonance).

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça