Songcrafters Tribute 2021

Started by Vanncad, January 12, 2021, 08:08:30 PM

Vanncad

This is gonna be long. I apologize in advance, but honestly you have the freedom (and choice) of reading on or not so here it goes...

I was reminiscing a bit about this site tonight.

I joined this site back in 2007 after trying to find some information about the BR600 my wife had given me for Christmas.
64 Guitars had a site that I posted on and he pointed me toward this site which had a little more activity and membership.
It was right after one of the first "Fests" (probably before they were even called "Fests" -lol!). It was a Neil Young cover song festival and I was blown away by the talent and friendship on this site.
I can remember being scared shitless when I posted my first song and wondering if people would like it or not. The comments I got gave me courage to keep writing music and sharing with people who I knew I would probably never meet.

If I remember correctly, shortly after I joined, the site went through some difficulty due to ownership and other things that made things a little precarious as to what the future of this site would be.
People can correct me if I'm wrong, but there were certain people on this site that stepped up and took positions either monetarily or from a personal time perspective to make sure this site kept going.
That is an unbelievable thing and really shows the true nature of this site. I applaud all of the folks that made a personal commitment to keep this site active.

I count myself priviledged to  have been able to collaborate on songs with people all over the world and make some damn good friends from this site.
I feel that I can communicate honestly with these people and I hope they feel the same way towards me.

The reason this site has worked so well is because we RESPECT each other.
We all have different backgrounds, nationalities, cultures, political beliefs, and playing abilities, but the common denominator is LOVE and RESPECT.

I have cried about people we've lost from this site that I have never even talked to before.
I have cared deeply and wondered about how people and their familes are doing without ever having met them in person.

As this Covid pandemic has affected our planet, I have spent alot of time thinking about my global friends on this site.
I did not even take this thing seriously unil Alfstone posted his "Be Careful, Be Ready" post. That opened my eyes as to what was coming for us here in North America and I thank and commend him for his selflessnous and caring for others during these crazy times.

I don't agree with all of the thoughts and comments on this site. I never have, and that's okay...
I don't even like some of the music on this site, and that's okay too...

But... I truely RESPECT every person that takes the time and courage to post their music and lyrics.
This is a very personal thing and it takes a lot of BALLS to post something so personal for other people to comment on.

So...

Keep posting music my friends.
Keep RESPECTING and LOVING each other.
Take the time to talk to people who don't share your opinions.
DISAGREE with people... that's OKAY!!
Collaborate with someone who you don't agree with. You might discover you are more alike than you would ever imagine.

I love you my global brothers and sisters. Keep making music, keep LOVING and RESPECTING each other...

This is by far the best site on the 'Net.

Thanks for being here for me for all these years.

- Vann
It ain't pretty being easy.

Okay to Cover

WarpCanada

This community is unique.  I joined in 2020 after I accidentally discovered this after googling something about my boss BR600.  I bought it used on Reverb.com in 2019, as a simpler way to just press record and start singing and playing my song ideas into. I have a powerful audio interface and a big name DAW and a tonne of software but sometimes simpler and captured (especially while trying to write and capture ideas) is the key.

What I find most consistently amazing is the kindness and the friendliness of this community.  That can't be over-stated.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Jean Pierre

very moving testimony of my friend Vanncad and a lot of ideas that I share.
I got to know SC in 2015 through Alfstone (Alfredo), I don't remember what the circumstances were! (Alfredo's friend might say Alzheimer's:)

and my first song was "The folks who live on the hill", a cover of Clapton

and one of the first comments of my "godfather" Alfredo was
QuoteHe he he he...  :)

if the white rider (that was my alias name at the time) is now here with us, it's my fault...  :D

Welcome on board, Jean Pierre, and many congrats, great cover!

Alfredo
and since then I published (I can't believe 354 covers...) only covers because I'm unable to compose...I have a lot of admiration for the SC guy's who composes lyrics and music...

We have lost some friends in the last few years,...and others have "disappeared" ...and others with whom we seem to have been angry probably due to my lack of understanding of the English language (I speak and understand English very badly and I "function" thanks to deep tarducteur! ...... and it's terrible to lose sight (of listening) of some of us.
when I started on SC, there were two other French compatriots, who disappeared without anyone knowing why or how...

What I like, just like Vanncad is the universality of the site ethnic groups, religions, opinions, countries, music ... in the respect of

As you may know I am a multi-instrumentalist (I play many instruments badly but I like it,! my dream would be to learn (a little) the Indian sitar and the Arabic Oud (or the baroque lute)...but they are expensive instruments.

From time to time, I publish covers of French songs and I appreciate the kind comments from some of you.
I like the blues as much as  baroc music, Spanish, Italian, Cuban music (at the moment I'm preparing Chan Chan of the company Secundo (very difficult for the rhythm and the singing!).
the only musical genre I don't like too much is military music!...it must be said that I failed the entrance exam to the French military band in Berlin, when I was doing my military service (occupation army!) in Germany (like Elvis): the exam consisted in reading a score in F key, presented upside down!!!!

Although the community is mainly English-speaking, there are a few expats and that's what I appreciate the most about SC.

my model is the incredible work of the guys from  "Playing for change" and I would finish on this universal note

bonan tagon al ?iuj SC-Knabinoj kaj uloj
  ..en esperanto language ;)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAjRmHODjyQ
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

alfstone

Dear Vann, you have been so kind to quote me, and I thank you so much...you see, I had many, many doubts when I posted the first time about Covid...but as you all know, Italy was the first Country to be hit (after China, of course), and the news coming to me from my colleagues in Lombardy were so scary that, I reapeat with many doubts, I decided that if I could do something for my musical friends of Songcrafters, it was to recommend them to stay "careful and ready", with some practical, everyday recommendations we all know, today. It was easy to me to foresee what would happen, everywhere in the world. After that, since this last year we all have been flooded by all kind of news, comments, opinions etc. concerning the pandemic, I have prefered not to add my comments to the growing confusion of news and "noise". But it's obvious that if someone here needs a professional opinion, he/she is free to contant me without any problem.  :)

Jean Pierre: yes, I remember perfectly. We knew each other in the PG-Music forum...I had understood that you too (like me) were a "cover-man", and in that forum they were absolutely in terror  ;D when someone was posting a cover...so I told you, more or less: "Do you know, there's a place in the net where you can post all the covers you want...it's called Songcrafters...".  :)

This is a very special place, we all know. It's been helpful to all of us (myself included) quite often. Magic confirmed when some Songrafters meet in person...when I met James, it was like we knew since a lifetime...

So...I think the tribute goes expecially to 64gtrs and all admins, who have created and keep alive such a great place!

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Hook

I also have received a great amount of information, encouragement, knowledge, confidence, comfort and friendship from this wonderful little corner of the internet. I joined in 2009 when 64 steered me here for info on my br900...so many multi-track machines later.
Not as involved as I have been in the past but it is still my much needed refuge...just harder to find extra time lately.
I have travelled the world (Finland, Norway), to meet other songcrafters and have spent time with others who have found there way to Florida. Bruno's family and mine have spent much wonderful time together, we were fortunate to have been at his daughters wedding. Ive been involved in so many songcrafter Mets that Ive lost count...time for another. I have developed, actual friendships( not knocking virtual ones), with Blooby, , Lurker, launched, Bruno, Mazz,Oldrottonhead, ,Redler, Ella, Suri, Geir and Jarle. Hell, a member I hardly new gave me a bass when I needed one. This is by far, the friendliest place online and I am extremely grateful for it. Thank you friends.
Rock on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Ferryman

Wow, what a great post. With which I can only agree.

I've been here on and off since the start of 2009 and I have learned so much, listened to a lot of great music and collaborated with a lot of very talented people. I've even met a few Songcrafters....

I know that when I started here I didn't "like" everything on the site. But a lot of that was down to my narrow opinions on music. I have really broadened my horizons since being on here. These days, the quality and variety of music is just amazing.

This place really is a great place to be and I'm so glad that it seems to have got a new lease of life. I struggle to keep up with all the posts!

And of course, thanks again to 64G and the admins  :-* ;)

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

So well said, Vann. And I agree with it all. It's weird to take a pause and realise this place has not just been IN my life since 2008 (when I went looking for user tips on my new MBR) - it's a major PART of my life and creativity. That's a lot of time, songs, collaborations and friends. There's only been a few controversies and disputes over the years, which is incredible given the cesspit that exists on the rest of the internet. It really has been a place of support, talent and friendship. I like the fact that whoever we are, and wherever we come from geographically and politically, music unifies us.

I have learned so much from you all. In 2008 I had barely just started performing live for the first time in my life. I still can't believe the time Nigel and Tharek came to see me - what a thrill and surprise that was. And the time (after all the albums and songs) that I was stood performing live on stage with Mike, James and Geir (Jemima's Kite). Definitely one of my favourite things I've ever done. And all the other times and people I've met and collaborated with. These are special friendships. Nobody 'gets' me like you lot of music nerds, lol. It was very cool meeting lots of you on Zoom too.

Agree that the admins and 64Guitars deserve huge credit and thanks for everything they've done. 64Guitars is like a mysterious, omnipotent genie who knows the answers to everything and is always there when you need him. He's part of my life though we've never met or spoken!

What a great place. And people understand when you need to disappear for a bit. We just 'get it'... the darkness that can go hand in hand with creativity sometimes.

Really enjoying the standard of the music here at the moment. And the collaborations I've been doing with The Kite Boys, Max, Nigel and Kenneth. All kinds of new and exciting things that push me in different directions.