The Soft Nucleus of the Machine (for Photofest)

Started by alfstone, January 11, 2021, 03:45:54 PM

alfstone

The soft nucleus of the machine
Time:
0:00
Volume:
PhotoFest (banner image missing)

This is mostly a tribute to two of the most important bands of the Canterbury scene. The title says it all. Of course it comes together with memories of my youth, and my musical memories connect with the enclosed picture I found some time ago. It was taken at the beginning of the Seventies (1971-72, I think). I'm on the right, Roberto (robtob) on the left and his brother Renato (on flute), center. We loved Soft Machine, expecially their "6" album.

In 1972 I went for my first time in London (the first of many...who knows if and when it will be possible again...) and I spent a wonderful evening at the 100 Club in Oxford St., listening the a brand new band called Weather Report (yes, THAT Weather Report!) and the back-up group, to my great surprise, was Nucleus! What I could ask more?  :)

Apart from guitar, there are some synth parts with the GR-55.

Alfredo

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

Bluesberry

man-0-man this is good....great sonds from the guitar synth...and guitar....very well put together.....great picture Alfredo

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

well, I love whistling so I like this...and the saxophone was killer.... and just the overall vibe of the tune is nice and laid back...but not at all boring.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Greeny

It's rare to see you on the originals board, so this is quite a treat. And it's a great track. Very avant-garde and jazzy. Loved it when that delay guitar came shimmering in. The laid-back groove is amazing. I don't know Nucleus, but it did remind me of a slowed-down version of Birdland by Weather Report. It's such a great listen! You should do more like this.

chapperz66

Quote from: Greeny on January 12, 2021, 03:06:29 AMIt's such a great listen! You should do more like this.

I love this Alfredo!  Totally agree with Tim.  Please do more like this.  I still listen to lots of stuff like this - Weather Report, Return to Forever, Nova etc.

This is dead cool.

Paul

maxit

Very trippy song Alf (ma si dice cosi?). Io sto ancora viaggiando ... bel pezzo e bella foto!
recorder
Audacity

Farrell Jackson

Great picture of days gone by and cool song to go with it Alfredo! The whistling was also a treat to hear....you don't hear much of that in songs theses days.
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

TPB

Very cool song and the delay on the guitar is used to perfection love it
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

T.C. Elliott

I agree with everyone who commented on how good this sounds. And I'm listening at work which can be quite hectic. This song really helped me relax a bit which is saying quite a bit around here.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Ferryman

Wow, this is brilliant Alfredo, a wonderful jazzy groove and some really inspired playing. It's also beautifully recorded, so open and clear.

A wonderful back story, you are true to your influences. Brought back happy memories for me, my brother was a big Soft Machine fan and we used to listen to their stuff together when I was a kid. I was a great fan of all of the solo work they did after Soft Machine as well (Kevin Ayers, Robert Wyatt and of course Gong).

Bravo. This is just fabulous.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR