BR1600CD power supply causing an annoying hum in speaker

Started by StephenM, January 04, 2021, 08:46:18 PM

StephenM

I have 2 BR1600's... the one I have had a long time is causing a hum in the speakers that I use as ref monitors (or in headphones).... and it is the Power Supply because I swapped the power supply with the other one and the hum went away.... I tried routing the PS away from any signal cords...no avail... so I ordered a new power supply because I can't have that annoyance....it does not seem to get into any recording however..... any one else ever have a problem like this?  It seems that it is a new problem... I have used this device for more than 10 years and never noticed it until recent....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

bruno

Not had that issue - my first thought was an earth loop, however there is no earth to the unit. Have you plugged it into a different ring in the house, and does it behave the same?
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

StephenM

Quote from: bruno on January 05, 2021, 04:52:31 AMNot had that issue - my first thought was an earth loop, however there is no earth to the unit. Have you plugged it into a different ring in the house, and does it behave the same?
B

I actually though about that but omgoodness I will have to dig out a ext cord....so I went and bought a new one....lol...but I am going to try what you said..

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

WarpCanada

It's a standard 9V pedal power thing for most of the boss units right? Try plugging in a OneSpot adaptor and just toss the bad AC adaptor.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

bruno

Quote from: WarpCanada on January 05, 2021, 08:56:17 PMIt's a standard 9V pedal power thing for most of the boss units right? Try plugging in a OneSpot adaptor and just toss the bad AC adaptor.
BE CAREFUL.
Nope its a 12v, center positive on my BR1600?? Model PSB-7U, output is +/- 12v @ 4amps max - that's a lot of power, probably more than a power block can cope with. Standard boss is different polarity and voltage. I would hope that normal 9v adaptor wouldn't fit (I've tried it on mine, and they don't - good) - but you can never tell. I would say only use the proper power supply for the unit if possible, I would always go back to Roland/Boss for that, particularly for a standalone unit like the BR1600. Boss are very good at protecting their gear, but its never 100% and you cant rely on it. Interestingly, the power block seems to be 110v or 240v, meaning its a common unit between the UK and the US, just a different plug.

Thomann have them, they are not cheap though, you can find cheaper equivalents I'm sure.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_psb_7u_power_supply_boss.htm

I was saying try plugging the current adaptor into a part of the house and different wall socket, and on a different mains ring (this may be a UK term, however the 'ring' is the mains loop in the house, separately fused - the upstairs/downstairs are normally on different rings in the UK, and all our sockets are earthed). Sometimes some main rings can be noisy due to things like fridges generating noise and you can get earth or ground loops producing hum. However, the BR1600 doesn't have a ground/earth connection!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

recorder
Boss BR-1600

StephenM

Quote from: bruno on January 06, 2021, 03:34:06 AM
Quote from: WarpCanada on January 05, 2021, 08:56:17 PMIt's a standard 9V pedal power thing for most of the boss units right? Try plugging in a OneSpot adaptor and just toss the bad AC adaptor.
BE CAREFUL.
Nope its a 12v, center positive on my BR1600?? Model PSB-7U, output is +/- 12v @ 4amps max - that's a lot of power, probably more than a power block can cope with. Standard boss is different polarity and voltage. I would hope that normal 9v adaptor wouldn't fit (I've tried it on mine, and they don't - good) - but you can never tell. I would say only use the proper power supply for the unit if possible, I would always go back to Roland/Boss for that, particularly for a standalone unit like the BR1600. Boss are very good at protecting their gear, but its never 100% and you cant rely on it. Interestingly, the power block seems to be 110v or 240v, meaning its a common unit between the UK and the US, just a different plug.

Thomann have them, they are not cheap though, you can find cheaper equivalents I'm sure.

https://www.thomann.de/gb/roland_psb_7u_power_supply_boss.htm

I was saying try plugging the current adaptor into a part of the house and different wall socket, and on a different mains ring (this may be a UK term, however the 'ring' is the mains loop in the house, separately fused - the upstairs/downstairs are normally on different rings in the UK, and all our sockets are earthed). Sometimes some main rings can be noisy due to things like fridges generating noise and you can get earth or ground loops producing hum. However, the BR1600 doesn't have a ground/earth connection!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_(electricity)

indeed Bruno....the BR is a large unit and it does eat up a lot of power....  my zoom is much smaller...  thanks for the advice..... I am going to be careful with these because they are kind of "antique" now....lol...I will let you know how it turns out...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

problem solved...bought 2 new ones because my other one was iffy when you jiggled the cord...they were about 20 bucks a pop...I am happy now.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

bruno

Fab. NB I bought a modern power supply for pedals (1-Spot) as the JHS Fuzz was really noisy, but only that pedal. I tried all sorts, even replaced the JHS, which was better, but not great. New power supply, there is no noise - but I cant figure out why the old supply just impacted that one pedal. Weird.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600