Need some microphone set-up advice...

Started by Greeny, January 04, 2021, 06:52:48 AM

pjd1

I am reading this thread with interest , i have just purchased a Martin Road Koa series acoustic  guitar great sound and playability it has a modern MTX i think its called electronics out put and i am experimenting with the Tascam recorder i have , it,s output is directly into the recorder is ok but it lacks the woody vibe that the guitar has , i have a Beyer Dynamic MIC pointed at the 12th fret about 12 inches away , it sounds ok but the recording playback is a bit boomy , first time i have tried to dip my toes into using a mic to record , i think i am on a journey never before been , so any tips would be useful to me , is my mic up for the Job , i seem to be getting a good signal into the unit , once i have adjusted the preamp , am i missing something ?

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Greeny

Microphone Pre Amplifier https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00AV8OXOK/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabc_kXn-FbYRZQYPG?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

This is the kind of pre-amp I bought.

I was recording this evening using it, and the quality is superb.

I use the MBR line in all the time for GarageBand, so I know there's no problem with it. It just didn't like a microphone. And it didn't like it via an iRig either.

So I'm not really any the wiser, but have stumbled on an excellent recording set up, so pretty pleased.

Greeny

I will be doing some acoustic guitar and amp recording this weekend, so will let you know how it goes. I know it's quite a subjective art though.

Quote from: pjd1 on January 08, 2021, 01:28:21 PMI am reading this thread with interest , i have just purchased a Martin Road Koa series acoustic  guitar great sound and playability it has a modern MTX i think its called electronics out put and i am experimenting with the Tascam recorder i have , it,s output is directly into the recorder is ok but it lacks the woody vibe that the guitar has , i have a Beyer Dynamic MIC pointed at the 12th fret about 12 inches away , it sounds ok but the recording playback is a bit boomy , first time i have tried to dip my toes into using a mic to record , i think i am on a journey never before been , so any tips would be useful to me , is my mic up for the Job , i seem to be getting a good signal into the unit , once i have adjusted the preamp , am i missing something ?

Dunny

64Guitars

Quote from: pjd1 on January 08, 2021, 01:28:21 PMI am reading this thread with interest , i have just purchased a Martin Road Koa series acoustic  guitar great sound and playability it has a modern MTX i think its called electronics out put and i am experimenting with the Tascam recorder i have , it,s output is directly into the recorder is ok but it lacks the woody vibe that the guitar has
Have you tried changing the phase switch located on the underside of the control module? It will affect the sound.

Quote from: pjd1 on January 08, 2021, 01:28:21 PMi have a Beyer Dynamic MIC pointed at the 12th fret about 12 inches away , it sounds ok but the recording playback is a bit boomy
The 12th fret from 12 inches is the recommended placement. However, different mics will give different results, so experiment with the mic placement. If the sound is too boomy, try moving the mic a bit further away.

You could also try filtering out some of the low end with the Tascam's EQ. An acoustic guitar generally doesn't produce any sound below 80Hz, so you can use a highpass filter to cut everything below 80Hz which is basically low-level room noise.

Quote from: pjd1 on January 08, 2021, 01:28:21 PMis my mic up for the Job , i seem to be getting a good signal into the unit , once i have adjusted the preamp , am i missing something ?
For recording acoustic guitar, a dynamic mic will work but a condenser mic will generally work better. Dynamic mics are better for high sound pressure levels such as you'd get in a live performance or for micing a guitar amp or drum kit. Condenser mics are much more sensitive, so they're better for recording low level sounds such as you'd find in a typical home recording studio (acoustic guitar and other acoustic instruments, vocals, etc.).

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

64Guitars

Quote from: Greeny on January 08, 2021, 03:33:31 PMI use the MBR line in all the time for GarageBand, so I know there's no problem with it. It just didn't like a microphone. And it didn't like it via an iRig either.

So I'm not really any the wiser, but have stumbled on an excellent recording set up, so pretty pleased.

Is it possible that you've got the PlugIn Power switched on? If so, make sure you switch it off.

Here's an article from Roland's Knowledge Base about using an external mic with the Micro BR. It has a picture of the best adapter to use, which is a Y adapter with a stereo mini phone plug on one end and two XLR connectors on the other; one for the left channel and one for the right channel.

https://www.boss.info/global/support/knowledge_base/205163905/

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Greeny

Cheers, 64. That Y splitter looks like a quick and cheaper solution.

Been having a blast this morning recording acoustic guitar, mic'd Orange amp and vocals.

Interesting on the position of the (condenser) mic for acoustic guitar. I started with it pointing at the 12th fret. It sounded really nice: clear and balanced. But I suspect it has a lot to do with the guitar. I have an OM size smaller acoustic, so it needs a bit more 'boom' - somewhere around the 5th fret, but will continue to experiment. I can see a dreadnought or jumbo would be too much for that position though. Guessing the room ambience plays a part too.

It's a fun journey. And really exciting.

pjd1

Thank You 64 and Greeny , i have found a switch on my guitar that i didnt know existed until i downloaded the file on 64,s post , i found it made a small difference  , but thats not the point i should have been told that when i purchased the guitar , anyway i have had a play around today, and i have found that if i record two tracks one with the direct output from the guitar hard right , and use the mic hard left i get a better usable sound, more to the guitars voice and feel , so i am moving along the acoustic recording path , the filters and EQ are my next port of call, i will probably invest in a condenser mic at some point probably a SM57 , they seem to get a good review on the internet 

Onwards and upwards cheers lads i will keep you informed of my acoustic journey

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8