R.I.P. Tony Rice

Started by Pine, December 30, 2020, 12:26:24 PM

Pine

Tony Rice died Christmas morning at age 69. One of the greatest acoustic guitar flatpickers of all time. Good singer as well. If anybody was ever even near bluegrass music, they heard of Tony Rice. He recorded solo and with many other famous musicians. For me, his album "Manzanita" is his top work. It will never be out of style. A virtuoso player in his prime.
recorder
Boss BR-1200

pjd1

RIP Tony Rice to young at 69
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Farrell Jackson

RIP Tony Rice......as Pine mentioned, he was a great/virtuoso bluegrass acoustic flatpicker.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Jean Pierre

QuoteRice's death on Christmas morning resonated in the bluegrass world as well as the guitar community in general. "The list of guitarists who have reinvented the world's most played instrument is very short. Eddie Van Halen, Jimi Hendrix... a few others. Tony Rice is on that list, Charlie Worsham told Rolling Stone.

If you want listen how Tony Rice how  sounded his Martin D28 in flat picking listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GdfCNKuJzo

guitarists will appreciate , RIP Tony Rice

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

maxit

RIP Tony Rice, one of my favorite guitarists, flatpicking or whatever
recorder
Audacity

Blooby

Those Acoustic Planet albums are wonderful. Never fully delved into the Tony Rice Unit stuff.  Will have to do so.

Blooby

Pine

"Manzanita", from 1978, featured not just Tony, but Ricky Scaggs, Sam Bush, Jerry Douglas, and Dave "Dawg" Grisman...all famous in their own right. Known primarily as a bluegrass player, Tony wasn't afraid to flirt with blues and jazz. Check out this "progressive" track he wrote...and the whole album if you dig it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HfMGaqu6Z1M
recorder
Boss BR-1200