"All We Are"a Hook original w/video

Started by Hook, December 28, 2020, 01:28:18 PM

Hook

All We Are
Time:
0:00
Volume:
So this is a little nostalgic journey through the bands I was either in or connected to by friends throughout High School and my young adulthood. I've put the names of the bands in bold face in the lyrics. Al recorded on the Br80, drums are my Roland Handsonic 10, bass is my A/E, electric guitar is my Traveler. The sax and organ are my EWI & the uke is my Baritone Hilo (low strung DGBE).
1 uke vocal (stereo)
1 drums(stereo)
1 aux percussion(stereo)
1 clean rhythm guitar(stereo)
1 distorted rhythm guitar(stereo)
1 sax
1 organ
All We Are
written & performed by Hook
Days long ago
We were Algae public
Skimming across the pond
Into a circumradiant dawn

The Kudzu grew fast
Over the falling bricks (The Falls Brix)
But neither would last
But without them none of this would exist

Here we are
It may seem small
But it's all we are

I saw a light in August
Smoking a 10 cent cigar(s)
Wasn't long before Free Beer &
Solo gigs in shockoe bottom bars

composition degrees
Piano keys and strings
(HG)Rodeos to Eggheads
Mandolins over mountains
New beginnings

Now we've scattered cross the country
Separated like stars
And if we drew a line connecting us
The constellation would be be ours
And its melody can take us far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=noVacWSZ-qw

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Blooby

Wow. This quite the epic post. Love what you did to build this and then break it down with that interlude. Supper impressive, my brother. Another wow.

Blooby

Greeny

Something about the songwriting makes me think of Paul Simon. Some very, very clever stuff going on, and full of melodic pleasure. Love that switch at about 3:30pm. So beautiful! The epic ambition of this would terrify me, but you deliver it with aplomb. Fantastic work.

Farrell Jackson

This is great Hook.....I feel the nostalgia in this journey through your bands and life. The middle break down is so clever. Love the organ in there. It furthers the melancholy vibe of the song. Well done Hook!

Farrell 
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Ray Brookes

Lovely nostalgic trip and nicely presented. That organ sound is terrific (East West QL?) and love that baritone uke. Great work; well done.
Ray Brookes

TPB

Very cool concept and nicely done liked this little trip into the past
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

bruno

Brother, what everyone else said ^^^
Super track, wonderfully retrospective and thoughtful - I really enjoyed this
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Pine

Hook, in the past, you used to come up with some unique music. In my absence, i can see and hear that this has only multiplied ten fold. This song is a good example of how abstract and creative you can get. This isn't just out of the box, it's like a hologram floating above it :-)) Your personality seems to shine thru, tho i've never met you in person. You dare to go where others fear to tread. It's an overused cliche, but when you post a song, it's like the proverbial box of chocolates. I expect the unexpected. Tuff act to follow! As you often say...Rock On!  8)
recorder
Boss BR-1200

SteveAlton

Where you get and hear your melodies from this is amazing.  I'd over never been anywhere close to any of that if you were playing in front of me.

Your brain works perfect for your style bro...Tight stuff

StephenM

cool stuff...cool lyrics....has kind of a prog meets 80s euro vibe to me.... I will have to hear this again when there isn't as much distraction....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner