How us synth players see ourselves versus...

Started by WarpCanada, December 16, 2020, 09:59:54 AM

WarpCanada

Found on the Internets. (Reddit /r/synthesizers)

Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

TPB

Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Flash Harry

This actually was me this evening.

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

64Guitars

Quote from: Flash Harry on December 16, 2020, 03:32:55 PMThis actually was me this evening.

What does the DIY gadget do? Is it made from a Raspberry Pi? Or maybe Arduino?

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Flash Harry

It's an arduino, and it sends the midi Clock (0xF2) out of the serial port at 24 times per quarter note which is a crotchet, or a beat in the 4/4 timing space. The potentiometer is connected to an analog input and is used to vary the clock timing from 30 to 280 (ish) BPM (1/4 * 1024 +30). It works a treat. I have had my synths clocked in, arpeggiators running and I've been drumming along. My wife has just come in to complain that I'm too loud...

Next step is to connect another Arduino to the Midi out of the drum kit and get it to work out the BPM from the info coming in. Then get the two arduinos talking to each other and passing the current BPM info between them

- Kurt Vonnegut.

StephenM

Quote from: Flash Harry on December 16, 2020, 03:32:55 PMThis actually was me this evening.

looks like a generic readout that can be programmed...typical of things used on machines in industry.... that is very cool Flash....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

64Guitars

Quote from: Flash Harry on December 16, 2020, 05:25:12 PMIt's an arduino, and it sends the midi Clock (0xF2) out of the serial port at 24 times per quarter note which is a crotchet, or a beat in the 4/4 timing space. The potentiometer is connected to an analog input and is used to vary the clock timing from 30 to 280 (ish) BPM (1/4 * 1024 +30). It works a treat. I have had my synths clocked in, arpeggiators running and I've been drumming along. My wife has just come in to complain that I'm too loud...

Next step is to connect another Arduino to the Midi out of the drum kit and get it to work out the BPM from the info coming in. Then get the two arduinos talking to each other and passing the current BPM info between them

%)!  Sort of a DIY version of the E-RM midiclock+ but, presumably, much less expensive.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Flash Harry

I think the parts cost less than £15. The 16x2 display was the most expensive at £6,

It is very like the E-RM midiclock+, it needs a few buttons adding. The next stage is to use a second Arduino to calculate the current drum rate, that will be interesting. A straight kick on the beat will be the starting point, but I hope to have the program calculate BPM from any kick pattern eventually. The second Arduino is needed because I have to keep the midi clock free of clutter and work so that the timing is accurate. Just development time required now, something to keep me occupied through the long winter nights.

I'm happy to publish the code and circuit once I'm done if anyone else needs an inexpensive Midi Clock.
- Kurt Vonnegut.

WarpCanada

I have plans to build a custom Arduino-midi-and-LCD dealie myself. So clearly I have found my tribe.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

cuthbert

That's very cool, Mike. I've got to get cracking on an Arduino project myself. I've got the board, a breadboard and some parts - just haven't had the time.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase