hamburger for Turkey DAy

Started by TPB, November 23, 2020, 08:38:31 AM

TPB

As some of you know I run a farm and we raise turkeys. we raised a 143 this year and they are all sold at 6 weeks old. Any way I kept three for me named  Thanksgiving, Christmas and smoke. I keep them in separate pen from the breeders and thanksgiving has been getting extra rations for the last month and turned into a nice 23 -25lbs  gobbler. So yesterday was to be his one bad day out of a good life I prepared everything and not to get to gory he was place in a cone that is used for butchering. Because of his extra weight the nails holding the cone bent and it came down, a couple things then happened in fast progression.  I got hit in the face by a wing of a 25 lb turkey, he discovered he was free, could run faster than the human chasing him  and most important that he could fly like a eagle> Last seen running across my hay field followed by lift off over the woods and to be never seen again. My wife is still laughing in the fact that we raise turkeys but will need to buy one if we want one for Thanksgiving. I say we grill hamburger at they do not Fly
Tim 
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Ferryman

There's a moral in that story somewhere........ :D

I'm afraid I did laugh when reading this though. Fly like a turkey doesn't have quite the right ring for a song title though.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

bruno

That is a funny story, although being hit in the face by a 25 pound turkey has got to hurt and cant be pleasant. You have to admire his escape for freedom. I guess it sums up 2020.

One question, is hamburger as is making/grilling burgers or as in what we (as in the UK) would call beef mince, this always confuses me as a Brit :-) My preference would be go for the mince (pork and beef) and make Lasagne, but I guess that wouldn't be very 'Thanksgiving' .....
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Farrell Jackson

Ha ha ha ha Tim! Being the son of a turkey farmer this plucked my funny bone big time, LOL! Not a lot of people know that turkeys can fly like any other bird (unless they have a wing clipped) and that they can run like the wind. Most are bird brains but I think this one must have been the Einstein of the flock to pull off such a daring escape! Being wing struck by a hefty turkey hurts like hell especially if the weather's a bit chilly. Thanks for the good laugh and enjoy your hamburger or as Bruno calls it, minced beef burger. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

Farrell (son of a turkey farmer)
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

TPB

Yes I used to raise commercial birds but they are really stupid so we raise a heritage breed now called Narrenganset they are lot smarter raise their own young and are good at foraging in the pasture. All organic but out buyers prefer them for taste
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Farrell Jackson

Wow Tim, that is a beauty of a Tom! We raised range birds (White, Bronze and Rust), thousands each season. As you've probably guessed, I didn't stay on the farm as I had my fill of late nights and early morning as a kid so it was off to college for me. I'm impressed that you raise them in a more natural, free range environment. People would rather have a bird raised in that manner. Good for you Tim!

Farrell 
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Geir

Quote from: Ferryman on November 23, 2020, 09:05:55 AMFly like a turkey doesn't have quite the right ring for a song title though.

For once I disagree with the great Ferryman ::) :D
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

pjd1

I will keep my eyes open for it in the Sky over XMAS , Funny story, there has got to be a song in there somewhere
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

64Guitars

I didn't think turkeys could fly. But then, my assumption was based on an episode of WKRP in Cincinnati which probably isn't the best source of scientific facts.  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf3mgmEdfwg

Incidentally, I've always loved the end theme music from WKRP with it's nonsensical lyrics (starts at 4:07 in the video above). What a great tune.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Farrell Jackson

LOL 64! I love that episode of WKRP.....it's so off the wall lol. Thanks for posting it up.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert