So....Windmill Taphouse Studios is a thing.

Started by Hook, November 23, 2020, 06:26:17 AM

Hook

After my successfulish proof of concept last Thursday night at the open mic we have our 1st client. It will be another live recording, same set up. This time it's a duo with a 2 hour show. 
We came up with the price of $125 for the service, recording with a quick mix and  CDs burned that night. I'll make $80 as an engineer and the bar/studio takes $45. Its a Saturday so I'll still have to drive for Ubereats some to make my daily financial goal but it is a start.
The $$ guy told me I should have a good pair of sound canceling headphones by that gig. A few more of these gigs and I think he'll upgrade us to a Tascam 32sd ( my personal choice). I do realize that not going DAW ( pro tools probably) will hold hs back but i dont have any time right now (or forseeable future) to learn a new system well enough to make a profit. A few nice mics and a TC Helicon Voice live pro 2 and I think we can deliver a pretty decent product, high quality demos.
Doubt this will ever be full time but hopefully once my gigs come back to full time (next school year I hope???) that the studio will be my side gig and not Ubereats.
We shall see, rock on my friends!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

bruno

Wishing you the very best of luck in this new venture, brother. Sounds great.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Farrell Jackson

I hope it works out for you Hook. Nothing better than getting paid for doing something you love!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Hilary

Fantastic news Hook - let us know how it goes!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Ella

Good luck Hook. Hope  you find lots of clients. Rock on! :)

TPB

You should hand out cards for recording service with the cd In my old studio we had people show up to record one song for the wife or them self and did some for weddings, HAd a set rate for one quick song mixed down and burned to a CD and with your portable setup you could go to them at their space.
I would schedule them for Saturday and some weekends would have three or four to record then mix at my pleasure and send the CD later that week. Never got rich but ended getting some pocket change and some old new toys. Traded two sections for a Variax guitar nice guitar the only problem it is like the POD too many sounds to choose from
Good Luck Brother
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

WarpCanada

I like the name.

If you wanted to do an add on service it would be to set them up and get their song posted somewhere so they can send a link to their friends so they can listen to the song online.

Probably youtube would be the best place to post the song with a lyric video.   I would think you could charge quite a bit for a nice lyric video.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada