whorkshop with my new microphone BEHRINGER C2

Started by Jean Pierre, November 18, 2020, 08:28:55 AM

Jean Pierre

greenback dollard workshop behringer C2 micro-001
Time:
0:00
Volume:
in a recent post of DesOfree " post your best accoustic guitar+vocal recording", Flash Harry said

quote]Like you I struggled and experimented. I settled upon a pair of Behringer C2 condenser mics, Geir had recommended them but at £39 a pair I wasn't expecting them to be as good as they are. [/quote]

?? this pair of microphones is 40 euros at Thoman, 40 euros! ...so why not try them?

...I received them this morning and I did a test on "greenback dollard" from the Kingston trio...

well it's a work shop on the fly all recorded with the pair of microphones
the guitar stereo plug
the voice taken in stereo
a second guitar, a tambourine and the dobro in mono (with only one of the two pickups).

what do you think?

..well for the price I'm surprised...I'll make a complete version of this song, and less confusing in a few days.

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Flash Harry

I'm not sure I can hear all the detail, it's lost in the rest of the mix, what I can hear sounds great.

They are surprising mics. I am really impressed
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

TPB

sounds good I have used a MXL 990 quite a bit it was so sensitive it picked up the sting strikes of the pick
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

des0free

Sounds very promising.  Now you got me thinking about more new gear.  But I just got the H2n recorder, so should stick with that for a while, see what it can do.  One of the reasons I like it is actually I have other considerations besides the best possible sound -- that is, what is more convenient.  I was making a big mess in the living room with all kinds of mic cables, mic stands, zoom R24 eight channel recorder, etc.   The H2n can sit on a single mic stand and run off batteries and record.

But if I had a dedicated studio room, I'd be leaning toward what you're trying now...
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Jean Pierre

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

Ferryman

Sounds pretty good to me JP. Very good sound at a low cost.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

StephenM

they sound real good to me... but then again.... I started using my Zoom R24 mics on the recorder itself... they are just so easy to use....and If i want to get really good I am going to take the tracks to the DAW and do plug ins anyway so the mic becomes somewhat less important.... I have quite a bit of Behringer stuff (powered speakers, an old mixer with on board effects, crossover, 31 band stereo eq, Bass amp, several 1000 watt amps, ).... I love their stuff... I have never been disappointed and if you want an interesting read check out "Behringer City" in China....what they are doing with their company and employees...and the way they manufacture.... it is truly amazing.... to me...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Jean Pierre

Stephen M says
QuoteI started using my Zoom R24 mics on the recorder itself.
DesOfree says
QuoteI just got the H2n recorder,

...in fact I think the debate is more about the type of microphones (static small diaphragm) and the configuration (XY or 90°) that characterize these devices.
 I give you here a note on this XY process for those who do not know it.
with my two Beringer C2 microphones, this is the configuration I use
The park of micro a small membrane is rather important the prices go from 40 euros (my Berhinger C2) ...to (gloups) 3299 euros (DPA ST 4011A)

Then the question (which I personally could never verify by myself is

b]Is a 100 times higher price justified? [/b]

Note on XY (90°) configuration :
https://www.dpa-by-audio2.fr/couple-stereo-xy-principes-et-techniques/

NB I post today in Post your work/cover song my version of "Greenback dollard" recorded only with Beringher C2 microphones as well as guitars, dobro and vocals.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

StephenM

Jahia said
"b]Is a 100 times higher price justified? [/b]"

IMO it depends... if you have tons of money and like to show it off...then yes... if you are like us... then abolutely not....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Jean Pierre

Stephen M said
Quoteit depends... if you have tons of money and like to show it off...then yes.
...........I agree

Another parameter is if it is a professional use : the reliability of the electronic components, the fittings, the welds are probably to be considered for a guitar for example.

I ordered a 12-string Rickenbacker clone (Harley Benton) from Santa Claus.
which sounds wonderful for 260 euros:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYC2Xq_zGK4

...it's sure that if I was a rock star leaving for a 2 months tour in the States I would opt (maybe) for a real Rickenbacker, but to play in my attic...the price of a current Rickenbacker is 2945 euros (I'm not even talking about the "vintage" guitars of the brand...)

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)