Br800 tracking ???

Started by Hook, November 17, 2020, 03:18:58 PM

Hook

In 4 track mode how do I assign the input to the track.
I would like to put a Mic to track 1 and then have 2 inputs (a stereo cord from a PA) gassigned to a stereo track, 5/6. Is this possible?
It seems like its tracks 1-4 or the 2 stereo tracks but not but not together.
Regardless I still cant figure out how to make sure input 1 is going to track 1 and so on.
Help on!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Hook

If it is indeed stereo or mono tracks (like I think) can I plug in a condenser mic and assign it 2 a stereo track?
My goal is to only have 2 tracks to convert and take for mix down. Ideally a stereo and a mono but 2 stereo tracks is acceptable.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

WarpCanada

It's not a mixing desk, so the limitations are exactly what you said.  They're cooked into the box.  Sounds like you want the equivalent of 3 or 4 mono streams to record at once?

Your sig shows you have a big tascam-24 box? Why you not use that?
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Hook

Sold the tascam, so not an option and its too much machine for the job.
The gig is me recording the acts at an open mic. After they're done I'll export the tracks off of the SD card into audacity on my laptop. Then I will mix the, hopefully, two tracks into one do a teeny little bit of mastering and burn a CD for them within 30 minutes of them finishing.
My buddy has an 800 so that's the machine I have to do it on.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Page 38 of the BR-800 manual says:

Press any one of the track 1–4
[REC] buttons to select the four
tracks 1–4, or press the track 5/6
[REC] or track 7/8 [REC] button to
select the four tracks 5–8.

I assume that means you have the choice of assigning inputs 1, 2, 3 & 4 to tracks 1, 2, 3 & 4 or to tracks 5, 6, 7 & 8.

Quote from: Hook on November 17, 2020, 03:31:07 PMIf it is indeed stereo or mono tracks (like I think) can I plug in a condenser mic and assign it 2 a stereo track?
My goal is to only have 2 tracks to convert and take for mix down. Ideally a stereo and a mono but 2 stereo tracks is acceptable.

When you export the tracks with BR Wave Converter, you have the choice of linking track pairs in stereo or leaving them as two mono tracks.

In the following screenshot, tracks 1/2 are stereo and tracks 3 through 8 are mono. You can change that by clicking the L/R buttons below the tracks. Green means the pair is linked in stereo. There is also a black line between the tracks to show that they're linked.

There's no advantage to exporting the condenser mic track to a stereo pair, so I'd just leave that one on mono.

If you use tracks 5-8 rather than 1-4, then you'd set the linking like this:

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

I completely forgot I can pair the 2 tracks in the be converter. So I just need to make sure that the stereo outs are going to tracks 3&4,  mic to 1.
So instill dont know how to make sure the input goes to the correct track?

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on November 17, 2020, 04:37:35 PMSo I just need to make sure that the stereo outs are going to tracks 3&4,  mic to 1.
Correct. Or you can have the PA to 1/2 and the mic to 3 (or 4). It makes no difference, so whichever you prefer is fine.

Quote from: Hook on November 17, 2020, 04:37:35 PMSo instill dont know how to make sure the input goes to the correct track?
If you've set the input source to "INPUT 1-4" (see page 37 in the BR-800 manual), then I assume there's a direct relationship between the inputs and the 4 selected tracks.

InputTrack
  1 -->     1
  2-->  2
  3-->  3
  4-->  4

OR

InputTrack
  1 -->      5
  2-->  6
  3-->  7
  4-->  8

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

Im hoping thats right 64. I'll try it out later, at kids soccer now. Seems so unnecessarily difficult to limit the capabilities so much. Seems to me that assigning an input to a track would be such an easy feature to have on all multitrack recorders. But what do I know?

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely