"In Search of the Elusive Perfect Take"-Original

Started by Johnbee, November 16, 2020, 04:50:13 PM

Johnbee

In Search of the Elusive Perfect Take
Time:
0:00
Volume:
I did this back in 2018 and it's pure self expression.  Sorry that it's a 6.5 minute epic, but it's more art than a "hit" type of song.
The lyrics are about my struggle with making music.  Most of the time I'm very proud of them after all of the work is done but the process can be very frustrating.  I used a vocoder here called the Vocalsynth by Izotope, amongst other toys.

Please enjoy.   :)
John B

Cue up.  Push "Record"
Hopefully it will work
Place your dreams inside a box of magic numbers

So hard to sing in tune
Twas easy when I was younger
Fighting temptation to give up
All I do is blunder

Now to mix this mess
Vocal needs compression
Not too happy with the sound
It's claustrophobic

A drive always pushing deep inside of me
Just wish it could be as easy as it seems

Rimixed a thousand times
Start to get a headache
Can't help to think that I
should try another hobby

So much in my heart and soul.  It makes me crazy
Can't tell if I'm losing touch or if I'm lazy

c 2018 John Bowen Music

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

hardlock

Very nice! Like 3 songs in one almost. Kept looking forward to the next part and not feeling it was too long at all.

Wish I could get vocorder results like yours. I have an effect for it in my DAW but never could get it to work. Great vocals and can relate to the lyrics.
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

WarpCanada

I don't think it was too long. Your arrangement is light and dextrous and shifting.  Musically this reminded me of maybe Elton John meets John and Vangelis.

I totally feel the same way some days,  but other days, I read the little sticker I put on my guitar that says "Don't Overthink It" and I take my own advice.

The best line in the lyrics is the last two lines...  I feel exactly the same:

>So much in my heart and soul.  It makes me crazy
>Can't tell if I'm losing touch or if I'm lazy

The vocoder part worked great, as in it sounded cool and it also fit the song somehow.

Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

StephenM

your music is consistently exceptional... bravo and this new one is no exception.... it is evident that you not only are talented but that you pay alot of attention to detail in your music... Yes this has a bit of an Elton John feel... and I like long songs so that is no problem for me.... and at 5:57 into 5:58 you managed to create a signature "bee" sound with the strings....probably totally coincidental but I thought...hmmmmm there is JohnBee....there is the bee .... nothing here to disappoint IMO.... i really like the "effected" piano sounds too

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

bruno

We have all been there! This is mammoth, a lot of work has gone into this.
Listened while walking and forgot that I was walking, quite mesmerised.
Excellent tune, well done. Some great bass licks in this, and excellent keys.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Ferryman

Epic work John. I think we have all been there, this definitely sums up my challenges. The writing and arrangement is top notch and I really liked the strings throughout, but I really liked the string-led section at the end. Beautifully produced and mixed, it all sounds fabulous on my studio monitors. Well done!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Johnbee

Hey Hardlock, WarpCanada, SteveM, bruno & Ferryman-Thanks so much!! Love you guys!!

:) ;) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

Redler

As always, your music is so enjoyable, like this epic one! Very orchestral song with fine arrangement, and your voice fits fine to the atmosphere. Excellent job, John - I'm a fan!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

WarpCanada

Can hardly wait to hear whatever you think up next!
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Johnbee

Thanks so much, Redler & thanks again WarpCanada.

:) John B

-Duke Ellington