Possible studio start up?!?

Started by Hook, November 15, 2020, 10:48:02 AM

64Guitars

Quote from: Hook on November 15, 2020, 10:48:02 AMMy plan is to take a stereo track out of the back of the PA system and also set up a room mic to record the set. Then I'll turn off the BR 80, pop out the card and insert a new card, start recording the next ACT and go to my laptop the mix down the two tracks in audacity and burn a CD. I'm telling them I'll have it done by two acts after they perform so roughly 30 minutes.

The trouble with that plan is that you won't be able to keep an eye on the recording levels for Act 2 while you're busy mixing Act 1's tracks and burning a CD. I suggest deferring the mixing till the next day so you can sit at the BR-800 through each set and monitor the levels to ensure a good quality recording without clipping. Next day (or whenever), you can mix the tracks, then upload them in both FLAC (for quality) and MP3 (for convenience) formats to a private folder on OneDrive or Google Drive, for example. Then just send the acts a link to their private folder so they can download their tracks. No CD burning necessary. If they want a CD, they can burn one themselves from the FLAC file.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

I do appreciate that 64, but I am only going to give Thursday night to this. I don't want any work to take home after the event, if I did I would have to charge more and I don't think that's viable. I do have the host who is also a partner in this studio venture and I will be relying on him to watch the initial levels. I plan on setting everything low enough that barring any drastic change in the ax hopefully clipping and things like that won't be an issue.
The idea for me is quick and easy, they have product in their hand at the end of the night. If we could sell five then I can make about 30 or forty dollars. After I split it with the house. If I can sell 10 I can make it worth my while.
When the night's done now I'm done.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

64Guitars

That makes sense.

One option you could consider is to shop around for some cheap USB thumb drives. You should be able to get them for under $5. Then offer the acts a choice of a CD for $20 or a USB thumb drive for $25. It will be a lot easier and faster to copy the files to thumb drives than to burn CDs. And if you find a good bargain on the thumb drives, you could increase your profit a bit. Plus CDs are a bit old-fashioned these days, so I think some people might prefer to pay the extra $5 for the convenience of a thumb drive.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Hook

I like that idea 64. I chose cds because A- I have a shit load on hand & B- they are super cheap. If we have a good response I will look into the drive idea. I would love to find a stock pile of 1g sd cards since they are relatively obsolete.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Bluesberry

Great idea.....checking in to see what is developing...

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand