Every Evening When It Rains (new arrangement, 2:27 )

Started by WarpCanada, November 12, 2020, 11:00:16 PM

WarpCanada

Every Evening When It Rains (v2)
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Previously posted as a 0:40 snippet.  Now I've gone and built a kind of A B A form with an intro, outro, main section A, little reverie, back to main section A, some sort of restatement, some sort of closing form.  Maybe still in the Eric Satie vein?     Still not a long piece at 2 minutes 27 seconds, but I think it's a bit more satisfying.

A production note;  I had a huge amount of fun using automation in Cubase 10 and sends to send my felt piano sound into some horrendous chain of sonic destruction,  ending in a very wet reverb so that all the sharp edges are knocked off, leaving some kind of enormous ambience. If you're wondering what the part that sounds like space-ships being torn apart in the far distance, by very soft velvet pawed aliens, well that's what that part is.  The convolution reverbs from Cubase, plus my dearly beloved RAUM reverb from Native Instruments, takes what would have been a sonic maelstrom of unlistenable chaos, and turns it into something that I think is very interesting and has a lot of musical texture.

A Convolution Reverb, for those not up on the terminology, is your computers way of modelling a space. Think about sound bouncing off the stone walls of a cathedral, and the loving way that a physical space destroys the purity of the original sound, but oddly enough, that destruction brings out the beauty of the sound.  Pure sine waves are not pleasant to listen to at all, and even the pure natural vibration of a tuned string in a piano or a guitar is not that pleasant.  But have it reverberate through a spruce soundboard (both guitars and pianos use spruce frequently for this), you get a plate reverb,  a natural one. Then you bounce that sound into a room, preferably a big stone cathedral.  Then you get beautiful sound. You can hear the space the sound was made in.  That is why I love reverb so much. Reverb is the sound of beautiful spaces.

Like most amateurs I overuse it.  If a pro came in to help me with my mix, she'd tell me to dial back the reverb. ;-)

The odd meter or strange gait of the piece comes from me thinking about rain drops on a window.  There's something so comforting about the speed at which they move. They sit, hesitate, build up some mass, and then run just a little distance till they have spread out a bit and then the whole thing continues.  Just like watching the embers in a fireplace, I could sit and watch it rain all day.

Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

hardlock

Nice piece! I enjoyed the definite mood it established. Also got a lot of your discussion of reverb. I always want to add more myself. You achieved the full effect w/o overdoing it IMHO. Very relaxing flow going and do get the rain feeling.
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Ray Brookes

This is indeed a nice track and that lovely light piano intro is beautiful, atmospheric and somewhat Impressionistic a la Debussy or Ravel. Very very nice ambience created by those reverbs across the mix. Sometimes I tend to use too much reverb if I'm not careful but of course with certain pieces it is perfectly acceptable. Lovely piece; well done.
Ray Brookes

thetworegs

I beautiful piece of music I can almost feel the rain gently coming down

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Ferryman

Satie meets Debussy with a chunk of Tomita thrown in. Absolutely loved this, I'm so glad you extended the short piece you did. It's really quite lovely and definitely evokes the kind of atmosphere you were trying to create. The different parts work well and it's a really enjoyable listen - I've had it looping for a while and really luxuriated in the gentle melodies.

I thought the reverb was quite subtle. But then I like reverbs fed into other reverbs then fed into delays and other effects  ;D It really adds to the atmosphere. Great stuff, well done!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

TPB

Defiantly sets the mood and there are times when it is good to get lost in the music this piece fits the mood of the rain well done
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Hilary

recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Farrell Jackson

Simply beautiful and I love your reverb effects!!!!!!!!!!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

StephenM

wow...very descriptive... I can tell you are enjoying the experience of making sounds, songs, music and writing about it.... and I learned a bit about reverb to boot... 

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Frank53

You certainly succeed in creating the mood you were after. Delicate and resonant. Very relaxing.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.