"Falling So Fast" a Hook original (mixed meter, psychedelica)

Started by Hook, November 12, 2020, 07:50:37 AM

Hook

Falling So Fast
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Been working on this for well over a week. Wrote the riff, did not intend it to be mixed meter but when I figured it out(after recording the uke part) it turns out to be a measure of 5/4 into a measure of 7/8, repeated. Thats the verse & the chorus is in 8/8. took me 2 days to get the drum part done.Uke is my Tenor Kala Archtop, bass is the A/E, drums are my cocktail kit recorded with on board BR80 mics & the synthy sound is my ewi 5000. It's a genre I'm calling Psychedelic Sadness.
1 Uke (stereo)
1 A/E bass
1 drums (stereo)
1 vocal (stereo)
1 synthy sound(stereo)
Falling So Fast
written & performed by Hook
I wish I could tap into my smile
I seem to have lost my optimistic Style
All the while I've been drinking from
the bottom half
forgetting to fill it back up

Caught in a whirlpool
Right Down the drain
grains of sand
through the neck of an hourglass
Falling so fast

I know I shouldn't dwell in the past
But you are not the past to me
And my other three
who desperately
need me
also feel the sting of betrayal

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Geir

I           LOVE            IT

just my cup of tea

I'll be dancing to this all night ::)
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

StephenM

I rweally wouldn't know a 2/4 from a treble note...but music resonates in my sould and I have a great sense of rhythm.. I heard absolutely no tempo problems...so good on you... and you are an excellet songwriter...and i am quite certain, based on a few videos I have seen that you are a grand entertainer as well... i love the bass, and drums and the melody drives it right along... if I get your lyrics... I kind of know what that is all about and glad that is way behind me....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

WarpCanada

There's a christian/alt-christian band from the 1980s that I dearly love called "The Choir" that has a member who plays both Sax, and an "EWI" style instrument, but he called his a "Lyricon", which has always seemed like a cool name.  "Wind Controller" and "EWI" haven't got as much Panache as "Lyricon", name wise. I've always wanted one.

Anyways, I think the mixed meter of this track creates a really interesting effect.  If I could make an analogy, I felt that feeling of being on the back of an old train car, in between cars, and there's a forward movement down the track, and then a side to side movement of the car I'm on, and the side to side movement of the car behind me, and I'm trying to time the movement between the cars, so I go across at a point when the two are moving together so that I cross properly and don't fall off the train.   Does that analogy make any sense? 

One thing I believe about making songs is that repetition creates a sense that you did it on purpose. Repetition creates Legitimacy. So what you repeat, and how often, and how much it changes between first and second time through any sort of verse or chorus (or other structural element) creates an interesting effect.   Melodically this piece feels very modal to me. I don't know what key or mode it is, it just sounds modal, and the melody is interesting and unexpected.

Nice work.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Oldrottenhead

1 2 3 4 oof 1 2 3 4 oof 1 2 3 oof. Timing a tic a tic a tic a tic timing braw bro
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Ferryman

Love this one Hook. It's a great riff and the unusual time signature really keeps the interest and creates a great earworm (you've been listening to Apocalypse in 9/8 maybe...?). The EWI sounds great as always and creates a really cool soundscape with the ukes and drums. BTW, I think you did a great job with the drums

A very effective and emotional track. There's some great imagery in the lyrics and you certainly create an emotional pull with this one. Well worth the effort, bravo.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

bruno

One of my favourites from you Brother. Awesome on every level, this is such a great tune.
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

Redler

Brilliant! I love the atmosphere of your song. Great lead uke melodies...right on the spot!

Well done, bro!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Frank53

Love the tricky timing. A rather sad song, sung very well.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

kenny mac

I wish I stayed around the corner from you mat  ,I would be knocking at your door with my guitar and just sit and chill.
You come up with some great instrumentation and work with some mental timings but always put that hook stamp on it.
Im still looking for that song to come out of that happy place and ive a feeling that time is coming soon.
well done mate.