"Out All Night"

Started by Frank53, May 31, 2009, 05:54:48 AM

Frank53

oan_mix5_mstr_trim
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Well, I might as well start with something simple. Not that anything I do is complicated. This is a little R&R song called "Out All Night", that I put together a couple months ago. All mixing and mastering was done on the '900, with the exception of a dB or so boost in Audacity. I was going for a Nick Lowe, Dave Edmunds kind of sound. Since few people (including me) remember them today, it probably doesn't matter. LOL!
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Bluesberry

That is really great Frank.  Really tight, great sound all round.  Welcome to the forum, lets have some more of your great songs.

Alternate Tunings: CAUTION: your fingers have to be in different places

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-1200
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Geir

Heard this one on indiemusicworks.com (you should check out his music there BB).
Really catchy tune well played and with lovely harmonies .. just gotta love it !!!
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
recorder
Audacity
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Oh well ........

Bro

Wow! This makes me think of the 1980!

Even though i was not alive at that point :D

Great job! Nice tension!
If you loose track over a chord progression, play as fast as you possibly can. Nobody will know. Thats how they invented bebop.

launched

Total freakout, man!! I feel the influences, but don't know where they come from. There are some Frank Black (Formerly of Pixies/Black Frances) tunes that remind me of this - very impressed and would love to hear more.

See you around,

Mark
"Now where did I put my stream of thought. But hey, fc*K it!!!!!!! -Mokbul"
recorder
Boss Micro BR

recorder
Audacity

recorder
Cubase

Song List
About Me
Ok to Cover

Pine

Great job Frank!! First thing i hear is.....ALOT OF WORK! This song did not come together in a day or two i bet...you did some serious engineering here. The story is good..your vox are very well done...reminded me of John Mooney a bit. The back up vox are just outta this world..fantastic job there. Neat lead and really nice drums. Overall tight and well performed. What else is there? Good song!
recorder
Boss BR-1200

Oldrottenhead

i remember nick lowe and dave edmunds, mr lowe is still turning out great songs, this is like wow, the organ sound is so nick lowe, and like early elvis costello who nick produced.

i think it was launched that said it reminded him of frank black ( possibly my fave singer/songwriter) but i think francis musta listened to some nick in his time.

bloody geat song love it

whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Satchwood

Cool tune FranK!  Great solo and way-cool keyboards! 

Cool singing and backup vocals and harmonizing!
www.reverbnation.com/Satchwood
www.myspace.com/Satchwood
www.soundclick.com/Satchwood

"Sometimes It's Not How Fast You Move, But How Soon You Get There" - Bruce Lee

Tools: Kramer Strat, LP Deluxe, Avalon 12-string, Ibanez Bass, Yamaha Keyboard, Micro BR, Riffworks, Line 6 UX2, & a little Ableton & Audacity for grins :~)

Bosko Schwartz

Frank!  I just read your introduction and found this post.  I too am a long-time drummer-turned-multi-instrumentalist -- good to have you here!  Wow, is this ever a feel-good romp!  Very early-80s, very Elvis Costello (esp. the organ), as ORH said.  Not sure if I hear the Frank Black influence, but either way this is top-notch good-time rock & roll!

One thing that's a little odd to me -- aren't these programmed drums?  If so, FANTASTIC job programming them, but why not just play them yourself?  Perhaps they are electronic drums, played live by you.  That would explain the sound.  Good work on the drums, either way!

Nice work! :)
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Frank53

Thanks everyone, for the kind words. I was in a musical drought a few month ago, and decided to come up with a simple R&R tune to try to stimulate the muse, and this was the result. But I think the muse is back on vacation again. LOL!

Bosko, yes. I always play my own drums. I have a set of Roland V-drums, so I don't drive the neighbors (and my wife) crazy.  ;D
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.