Post your best acoustic guitar + vocal recordings (and your methods!)

Started by des0free, November 08, 2020, 03:39:24 AM

Farrell Jackson

I have several reactions to this:

1. I like that instrumental composition and your talented playing very much, and the guitar tones

2. I also use Taylor GS mini (my favorite guitar) and I often tune down 1 or 2 steps to match my vocal range

3. I do not have a pickup installed in my Taylor GS mini but was always thinking of getting one - but I read the one that Taylor makes for the GS mini some people say isn't very good - and many people recommend "K&K mini" - which do you have?   By the way, I do have a "irig acoustic stage" clip on soundhole mic (and processor box), which actually sounds pretty good.  I could try mixing that with external mic recording!

4. What x/y condenser mics do you use, and how are they mounted?

[/quote]

1. Thank you!

2. It's cool that you've discovered tuning down the Mini to suit your needs. I'm not sure a lot of small guitars would sound good by down tuning.....but the mini isn't so mini, lol.

3. I purchased the stock GS Mini pickup kit when I purchased the guitar. The guitar was already set up for the pickup to clip in just behind and inside of the sound hole so you have to intentionally look to see it. It just snapped in a bracket that was already there. I then removed the end strap pin and replaced it with the provided jack plug and clipped the pick up wires to it. The pick up is magnetic so no batteries or onboard preamp/tone controls. So it needs a decent preamp to get the signal up to recording level. It works well plugged into an amp for live work but it does take some finessing to get a decent signal and sound for recording. I've not heard of the K&K mini pick up, I'll have to look that up.

4. My small condenser mics are a brand called SuperLux. They are made in China for some guy in the USA that matches them up and markets them. They were reasonably priced ($120 for the pair with shock mounts, if I remember correctly). I placed them on a T-bar that mounts to a boom stand. One head is placed over the other in an X/Y position so the sound reaches them both at the same time to eliminate phasing problems. The T-Bar works great at allowing you to swivel the mics in any position. MXR also has some inexpensive but decent small condenser mics.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

des0free

I just posted a new recording of John Lennon's imagine, using the same 3-mic technique described in my first post.  Plus I fooled around with some waves plugins:
https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=30281.0

It was important to use a pop filter on the vocal mic because Lennon sings things like "Imagine all the *P*eo*P*le, which is a terrible word for causing microphone pops!
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Jean Pierre

QuoteLike you I struggled and experimented. I settled upon a pair of Behringer C2 condenser mics, Geir had recommended them but at £39 a pair I wasn't expecting them to be as good as they are.

...indeed it sounds really good, very natural ... it makes you want to try these microphones, behringer which are really low coast, but behringer makes much better material at the moment ... I personally have a 4 inputs audio interface Behringer (UMC 494HD with preampl Midas ... at 111 euros !
 and I can't find anything to compare to it.
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

Oldrottenhead

just reheard this whilst playing the members jukebox.
I redid a full production version of it and it became possibly my favourite composition for 2020, is on my new album, not this version but the full mix version.
This unplugged and live version got lost, i think because of the redo, as there are only a few comments on this version of the song.
Anyway, i had the idea for the song but little time to do it justice as i was heading out to work. So before i forgot it, i sat my MicroBR on my knee, set it to record via the built in mic, turned on a saved patch, Fornylon adapted with tap delay and noise suppression turned on and hit record.
It is what it is.

https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=29452
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann