Anyone built themselves a custom electric guitar?

Started by WarpCanada, November 02, 2020, 11:24:26 PM

WarpCanada

I have heard this story that Brian May from Queen built his best and most favorite guitar with his dad.  That thought appeals to me.

I want to build a jazzmaster/jaguar style offset guitar with a lot of knobs and switches and tone circuitry, possibly something active.

Has anyone on here ever built a guitar in order to get that feeling, that you have the only one like THIS In the world? How did it go?

I could go out and buy a Fender AMerican Made Jazzmaster and that would make me kind of happy.   Gear Acquisition Syndrome for sure.

But I'm also thinking about just making something that looks like a slightly weird jazzmaster clone.
Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada

Jean Pierre

Hello Warren

I bought 2 Harley Benton Guitars in kit form for a ridiculously low price!

The assembly is child's play for the average do-it-yourselfer,
here are my two guitars...and I must say that the telecaster clone is absolutely great !

Well it's not a guitar construction from A to Z like we see videos on YT

Some do-it-yourselfers (and probably bad guitarists) make a shelf with a guitar.............what a shame!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WZSYTeLVkxc

Other more inspiring ones make a guitar with a shelf!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jXdKAwHSe6M
I don't know half of you half as well as I should like, and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.
The Lord of the Rings speech by Bilbo

WarpCanada

It's not a from scratch build, but I have a broken Line6 Variax which has dead electronics, and so I have reused the body and neck and rebuilt it into a "artcaster".

I sanded the body down to bare wood and painted it with white base coat and let my children decorate it with artwork. I will post a picture of it soon.

I got a P90 conventional pickup and mounted it.  The variax 300 (what this used to be) had piezo pickups under the bridge which went to a circuit board, which was powered by 6xAA batteries, all those guts have been pulled.

I plan to put some kind of strange electronics onboard the guitar.  A kill switch for "rage against the machine" style heavy glitching sounds, and perhaps some kind of guitar pedal like active circuit, something in the fuzz category, but with the fuzz controls easily tweaked while playing, think of it as what synth players call the "expression wheel"  but built in behind a series of normal looking tone knobs on a guitar.

Warren
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Cubase

recorder
Bitwig Studio

British Columbia Canada