"LoveBirds" by The Stan Laurels

Started by Bosko Schwartz, May 30, 2009, 09:31:03 AM

Ferryman

I saw Blooby comment about various Bosko masterpieces on this board, so I thought I better come over for a listen. I really enjoyed this one, didn't get so much 60s as more Flaming Lips (as someone else said). I love the vox on this, you have a great voice and have recorded it well. The song is great as well, like the structure. I just found the rhythm guitar in the first part a little sharp/choppy on the first listen, the song really opens up later, but it does give it quite a unique feel. But overall it's hugely impressive and you certainly should feel proud to share your "nakledness" with us.

Off to listen to some more of your stuff now.....

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Bosko Schwartz

Thanks, Nigel! :)

Ha, "masterpiece," that's a laugh! :P

Surprised you didn't get much of a 60s vibe (that era is a huge influence and this is the one song I actually tried to make sound 60s), but any comparison to The Lips is a HUGE, HUGE compliment to me, so thank you!  They are, without question, my favorite band working today, and although I love their early stuff, I think their last 3 albums are some of the best work any band has ever done.  This gives me so much hope as an "old" (34) man trying to bust into the music scene.  They are all well into their 40s, and instead of declining with age, like most do, they actually get BETTER with age.  That's my opinion, anyway.

Thanks also for the kind words about my voice -- like many in this forum, I was once extremely discouraged about singing and it took me a long time to accept my voice as it is with all of its flaws, but I am slowly but surely starting to do that, thanks to comments like this.  You're right about the sharpness on the rhythm guitar in the first verse; I have struggled with that as well, and I should've dropped the high EQ, but I have also recently learned (thanks to comments from my peers here in the forum) to keep songs on the shelf once they are placed there, because with my obsessive/compulsive nature, if I didn't force myself to do that, I would NEVER consider any music finished! ;D
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Ferryman

Yes, it's funny about that guitar, it stood out to me on first listen and felt a bit prominent in the mix but as I have listened to more of your stuff I realise you can have quite angular rhythms in there, so it doesn't leap out at me so much now. But not a major issue, I think the track's good as it is.

There's a big Lips influence but you aren't aping them. The layered keyboards, the vocal sound, the off the wall concepts (alien abduction and weird space ships, Yoshimi and pink robots....) are all redolent of them but you have a very unique sound that draws in more influences and makes you different from them. Keep the rest of the album coming!

Cheers,

Nigel

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

guitarron

fucking perfect-great tune guys

recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Cakewalk SONAR
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Cubasis
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Bosko Schwartz

Thanks, guitarron! ;D  I'm just one dude, BTW.
www.myspace.com/thestanlaurels
www.soundclick.com/thestanlaurels
www.facebook.com/thestanlaurels

Flash Harry

Bump!

OTD. John, where are you? what are you doing? When's the next album out?

For those who don't know, John Lathrop, aka Bosco Schwartz released this as part of an album, got into serious writing and buggered off. We haven't heard from him since. Take this as a cautionary tale. Music f*cks you up.
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.