another etiquette question

Started by StephenM, September 13, 2020, 08:13:13 PM

StephenM

Hi... I dig though alot of folks juke boxes and listen some...and I find I like something I want to comment (imagine that?).... If I comment that bumps the song to the top of the list.... is there a rule about how much or how many you can do like that?  I realize in any community there are unwritten rules and I don't want to tick anyone off...so I am really trying to make sure I try to do this right...thanks....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Hook

Hey brother, no rules against bumping or commenting on other members songs, that's what we are all about. The issue, if there is an issue, would be excessive self bumping. Some members feel the need to thank people for thier comments, which is a waste of time ( not many people go back to read comments after they commented, so they most likely wont even see the thank you). Plus it bumps your own song in front of others which often seems selfish and intentional.
So...please listen and comment as much as you can because thats what keeps this place alive. Also it feels good to see that people have listened and enjoyed your music. A comment doesn't have to be deep, a simple " great job" or a "Rock on" just might make someones day.
Music is meant to be listened to and (for most of us) it doesn't go much further than here. I know for myself, even my wife hasn't wanted to hear my songs now for years so it makes me happy to share with people that want it.
And you (or Oldrottonhead) might get drunk one night and reminisce through some of your own songs, bump a few...nothing wrong with that either. The one that seems un-genuine (imo) is the "thank you" bump.
Rock on brother.

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Greeny

Nothing wrong with a bit of Archive bumping - sober or drunk, lol. There are some absolute classics buried in there that deserve a regular outing. And there's always a new / changing audience who might never have heard them before. 

Ferryman

The one thing to bear in mind is that a lot of archive bumping will push new songs off the first page (or much lower down). Most people don't look a lot further than the first page on the original songs board for stuff to comment on. I think commenting on what people are doing now is what we most look for on the site so my personal recommendation is to archive bump in moderation - steadily over time rather than several on the same day.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

StephenM

Quote from: Ferryman on September 14, 2020, 02:43:26 AMThe one thing to bear in mind is that a lot of archive bumping will push new songs off the first page (or much lower down). Most people don't look a lot further than the first page on the original songs board for stuff to comment on. I think commenting on what people are doing now is what we most look for on the site so my personal recommendation is to archive bump in moderation - steadily over time rather than several on the same day.

i totally get this...so I will keep that in mind...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

T.C. Elliott

When I do a lot of listening (especially if it's on older songs) I try to leave the songs that are currently at the top of list to last so that when I'm done those songs will still be at the top. It's not always easy to do, especially if I've already listened to some of them. And there is only so much listening you can do so the songs farther down the list will still get bumped. Unfortunately, I tend to come and go a lot so there's a lot I need to catch up on.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

Mike_S

Would it be an idea to make the latest song posts "box" a bit longer or bigger in order to cater for a few more posts, maybe even at the expense of the top posters box underneath it, maybe making that one a bit smaller somehow?
recorder
iPad GarageBand

64Guitars

Quote from: Mike_S on September 14, 2020, 07:20:07 AMWould it be an idea to make the latest song posts "box" a bit longer or bigger in order to cater for a few more posts, maybe even at the expense of the top posters box underneath it, maybe making that one a bit smaller somehow?

I've increased it from 10 posts to 15. I've also added a "Recent Song Posts" button in the hamburger menu on the Forum tab (third item down). This will show all posts in the Post Your Work boards (Original Songs, Cover Songs, Collaborations, Backing Track Jams, and Member-made backers) in chronological order starting with the newest. It doesn't show the player though, so if you want to listen to a song, click on the message subject which is a link to the actual message. Please bear in mind that viewing the recent song posts doesn't mark the topics as read. To do that, you have to go to the actual message.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

IanR

I always sample the new song out of the Latest song jukebox. that way you can listen to the whole song while opening up a new tab to comment on it.

A good way to sample older songs is the "on this day" Jukebox. Same functionality there. If you do the old songs first and then have a listen to the new songs, you comments for the new songs will be up the top of the respective pages and won't push the new songs down too far.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One