Do you have one favorite all time song?

Started by StephenM, September 12, 2020, 06:47:19 PM

StephenM

Quote from: bruno on September 16, 2020, 11:05:18 AM
Quote from: Stephen Moore on September 16, 2020, 07:04:56 AM
Quote from: bruno on September 16, 2020, 05:51:04 AMThought about it for about 2 seconds. Easy winner. Probably not one that people would know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XG-tZRdTzQ

Amanda Marshall's Birmingham is a clear second.
But John Wetton's vocals, a mix of classical and modern, its haunting as well as a ghost story... I was sold. This tune is the shizzel.

Also this tune is evocative of a time and a place for me, and always brings me back there.

Why my favourite. Well some tunes go in and out of favour, this has never left. Everything about it I adore - so there you have it. Some of you will listen to this and probably say meh, but hey - each to their own.
 :) :) :)
B
[/quote

Bruno...John Wetton may very well be my absolute favorite overall musician...I admit I have never heard this... he was so talented...great singer..bassist and writer...fantastic...Asia was so good too...anyway..I will have to get this...thanks

So a bit of a long story.

Many, many years ago - I lived in Bournemouth. My best friend had a business in London, and his business partner was also from Bournemouth. Well when Pam came down to visit, he had to drop off something to his partner's mum, who lived very close by to my house. It transpired that she lived next door to John Wetton's mum, and John's mum often made apple pies for them. I think the family home was where John grew up. That always made me smile, and brings rock stars down to earth. The house was close to Mac's midnight motors - which was infamous in Bournemouth. A small shop, full or car parts - that you ring on the door bell at anytime, and he would appear in his dressing gown and serve you. I used to love Mac's Midnight Motors....

I was listening to John Wetton from UK before Asia - so when Asia appeared on the scene, it was a no-brainer for me. Asia 1 is a great, great album. The thing i alway love about John Wetton (a great bass player too) was that his singing was always quite fragile, you always thought that something would go horrible wrong soon, but never did. I think that I would rate him as my favourite singer, as one of the best songwriters ever, the solo albums have been replayed so many times.
A wonderful story and I never really discovered John Wetton until about 8 years ago...of course i had heard the 3 big Asia songs in the US and was quite familiar with those...but knew almost nothing about the band other than Steve Howe was a guitarist... so when I was 53 I got fat and I didn't like it so I started running again...and I needed some new music so I started revisting Asia...and one thing led to another...ha...was I dumb to miss that!  But I became a huge fan of the band and Wetton in particular.  Seems like he was a nice man too... His last work with Asia spanning 15 years or so was fantastic in my opinion... He married a woman from Syracuse, NY (my orig hometown) a few months before he died...He didn't know about his colon until late...anyway... now I have some more to listen too...so thanks for that!  and we both love John's music so....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Johnbee

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Flash Harry

We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

thetworegs

This track always reminds me of that mixed up teenager who was listening to this album for the 1st time and this came on and it was a revolation..... been a fan of it ever since
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGsmyqIrZRo

If Life is a dream then use your imagination

Mike_S

Ok... this one has been on my mind and I am going to have a try... but I am narrowing it down to a top 3 (please don't kick me off the thread!!)

So...

Gary Moore - The Loner
The Cavatina (theme from the Deer Hunter) - John Williams (written by Stanley Myres)
and Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

2 instrumentals in there... I do love my instrumental music. And just to mention, a lot those real all time classic songs... after I have heard them hundreds of times through the years I can get sick of them, but for some reason Bohemian Rhapsody holds my attention from start to finish every time I hear it, just so beautiful.
recorder
iPad GarageBand

StephenM

Quote from: Mike_S on September 21, 2020, 02:07:37 PMOk... this one has been on my mind and I am going to have a try... but I am narrowing it down to a top 3 (please don't kick me off the thread!!)

So...

Gary Moore - The Loner
The Cavatina (theme from the Deer Hunter) - John Williams (written by Stanley Myres)
and Bohemian Rhapsody - Queen

2 instrumentals in there... I do love my instrumental music. And just to mention, a lot those real all time classic songs... after I have heard them hundreds of times through the years I can get sick of them, but for some reason Bohemian Rhapsody holds my attention from start to finish every time I hear it, just so beautiful.

Yeah...He is great and that is a great song...have to admit...never heard it before...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gcPdeL4Dnc
Of course I know the Queen song well...Deer Hunter movie soudtrack...will have to dig that out....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

Quote from: thetworegs on September 20, 2020, 12:47:51 PMThis track always reminds me of that mixed up teenager who was listening to this album for the 1st time and this came on and it was a revolation..... been a fan of

Trev, I have to admit...this is the first time I heard this one...thanks

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

Quote from: Flash Harry on September 19, 2020, 04:30:06 PMThis one with the fabulous Gail Ann Dorsey on the bass.

Holy smokes...what a video...
my favorite Bowie is Rebel, Rebel....and Suffrajet City

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Redler

I can't name a particular song, because I love music on different genres; punk, psychedelic, prog rock, jazz, brit pop to name a few...
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

TPB

I would have to say it is two songs for me Gary Moore Still got the blues for you and BB Kings thrill is gone
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away