Tascam DP-24
recorder
Logic Pro
recorder
Adobe Audition
http://soundcloud.com/alfredo-de-pietra 
http://www.flickr.com/photos/26939208@N03/

StephenM

Quote from: kenny mac on September 13, 2020, 04:23:56 AMWith or without you by U2 has to be one of the most perfectly constructed songs ive heard,it just creeps in and builds bit by bit.
The infinity guitar line floats in like a ghost and haunts you.
Superb.
well for sure a great song and I love U2...it started with "New Years Day" for me...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

StephenM

Quote from: Frank53 on September 13, 2020, 10:10:30 AMWow, this is really an impossible task. Whatever I say today will change tomorrow... or in 10 minutes.  :)
I'll go with my first thought at the moment...

'On Reflection', by Gentle Giant. The vocal counterpoint, Kerry's angelic interlude, the varied instrumentation, the recapitulation of the opening counterpoint performed guitar, keys, and bass on the outro. It's a work of art. And the live version is completely re-imagined. That was a unique band.
I just listened to that...honestly I have never heard a single song by them that I know of.  I would admit that I likely never would have gave them a second listen in my 20s...I was way more main stream.  Even groups like Yes took a long time to grow on me.  I can say wow...they have that kind of Yes feel.  I will have to dig into some of their stuff...Thanks.

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

Quote from: Ferryman on September 13, 2020, 04:01:48 AMSupper's Ready by Genesis. OK, it's lots of songs but it has to be considered as a whole "suite". Loved the album and saw them perform it live with the most incredible stage show in 1972 when I was 15. It was a truly amazing experience and has stayed with me ever since.
Ok Nigel...I just went and listened to it live from the early 70s...the whole thing...Never heard it before.  And the video I saw was excellent both visual and audio.  It was apparent that they took footage from various concerts for it though and pieced it together...only because the different hair styles of Peter Gabriel and the different looks of Phil Collins kind of made me realize that.  My favorite section though was the 15 min mark on...V1.  Apocalypse.  That instrumental was fabulous and then when Peter came out with the Gog Magog thing...and I really like the very end with the lit up blue "pole" he held up....talking of the New Jerusalem...stunning display of theatrics. 
I can see why though this band did not stay together as formed.  Seeing what resulted in the various form of Genesis post Peter Gabriel, his solo work, and Phil Collins solo work it would be apparent there was just so many musical directions all at once, invariably it would have to change.  My sister and her husband were into the very early days of Genesis...I can see why now... and I did not realize how great Phil Collins is on drums, and Tony Banks, etc...super

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

IanR

I don't think I have a favourite song or a favourite child.

However, the one that popped into my mind was : Night Moves by Bob Seger.

I haven't tried to cover it yet. Perhaps now that I have outed myself I should give it a go.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

bruno

Thought about it for about 2 seconds. Easy winner. Probably not one that people would know.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XG-tZRdTzQ

Amanda Marshall's Birmingham is a clear second.
But John Wetton's vocals, a mix of classical and modern, its haunting as well as a ghost story... I was sold. This tune is the shizzel.

Also this tune is evocative of a time and a place for me, and always brings me back there.

Why my favourite. Well some tunes go in and out of favour, this has never left. Everything about it I adore - so there you have it. Some of you will listen to this and probably say meh, but hey - each to their own.
 :) :) :)
B

recorder
Boss BR-1600

StephenM

Quote from: bruno on September 16, 2020, 05:51:04 AMThought about it for about 2 seconds. Easy winner. Probably not one that people would know.

But John Wetton's vocals, a mix of classical and modern, its haunting as well as a ghost story... I was sold. This tune is the shizzel.

Also this tune is evocative of a time and a place for me, and always brings me back there.

Why my favourite. Well some tunes go in and out of favour, this has never left. Everything about it I adore - so there you have it. Some of you will listen to this and probably say meh, but hey - each to their own.
B
[/quote

Bruno...John Wetton may very well be my absolute favorite overall musician...I admit I have never heard this... he was so talented...great singer..bassist and writer...fantastic...Asia was so good too...anyway..I will have to get this...thanks

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Hook

Been thinking about this since it was posted. Way too hard...
Maybe "Suppers Ready" by Genesis
Maybe "4 Brothers" by Charlie Parker
Maybe "Lucille" by Kenny Rodgers
Maybe "issues" by The Violent Femmes

Can't choose........

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Mike_S

Yes been having a think about this too and have to agree it's just too difficult. Problem is I go through phases or cycles of enjoying one type of music more than another... I will be heavily into Blues (Rory Gallagher, Hendrix and lots of the old originals like Robert Johnson, etc) for a while, then I will be more into Prog Rock for a while (Yes, Rush, etc). And I will have shorter phases of anything and everything else... Indie, 80's/90's Pop, Jazz, some country, even some classical. Favourite songs from individual artists would be easier...
recorder
iPad GarageBand

bruno

Quote from: Stephen Moore on September 16, 2020, 07:04:56 AM
Quote from: bruno on September 16, 2020, 05:51:04 AMThought about it for about 2 seconds. Easy winner. Probably not one that people would know.

B
[/quote

Bruno...John Wetton may very well be my absolute favorite overall musician...I admit I have never heard this... he was so talented...great singer..bassist and writer...fantastic...Asia was so good too...anyway..I will have to get this...thanks

So a bit of a long story.

Many, many years ago - I lived in Bournemouth. My best friend had a business in London, and his business partner was also from Bournemouth. Well when Pam came down to visit, he had to drop off something to his partner's mum, who lived very close by to my house. It transpired that she lived next door to John Wetton's mum, and John's mum often made apple pies for them. I think the family home was where John grew up. That always made me smile, and brings rock stars down to earth. The house was close to Mac's midnight motors - which was infamous in Bournemouth. A small shop, full or car parts - that you ring on the door bell at anytime, and he would appear in his dressing gown and serve you. I used to love Mac's Midnight Motors....

I was listening to John Wetton from UK before Asia - so when Asia appeared on the scene, it was a no-brainer for me. Asia 1 is a great, great album. The thing i alway love about John Wetton (a great bass player too) was that his singing was always quite fragile, you always thought that something would go horrible wrong soon, but never did. I think that I would rate him as my favourite singer, as one of the best songwriters ever, the solo albums have been replayed so many times.

recorder
Boss BR-1600