Do you have one favorite all time song?

Started by StephenM, September 12, 2020, 06:47:19 PM

StephenM

Just wondering because this would be hard to come up with one all time favorite song...mine is "More Than A Feeling" by Boston.  I remember sitting in the upstairs bedroom of what had been my grandparents home in Beaver Falls, NY listening to a little radio playing rock tunes.  All of a sudden this amazing guitar sound and voice came through with "I see my Mary Ann walking away.  It's more than a feeling when I hear that old song they used to play." 
If I had to pick one it would be it.  Brad Delp (rip) vocals were one of a kind and Scholz musical and recording genius were just so top notch for the day...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Greeny

'The man with the child in his eyes' by Kate Bush.

Written age 13 and allegedly about Peter Gabriel.

StephenM

Quote from: Greeny on September 12, 2020, 09:50:58 PM'The man with the child in his eyes' by Kate Bush.

Written age 13 and allegedly about Peter Gabriel.
I think she did "Wuthering Heights" which Pat Benatar did an amazing cover of.  Of course I just adore Peter Gabriel... I will have to go and listen to the one you mentioned because I don't know that... I just went a listened...wow..that voice..of course I have heard a bit of her and I recognize her from some of Gabriels songs...and then right after that you tube song came up David Gilmour and Kate Bush live doing "Running Up That Hill."  My day just got a lot better...I love Gilmour...He is one of my 10 favorite musicians let alone guitarist...so thanks for that!

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

StephenM

Quote from: chapperz66 on September 13, 2020, 01:52:00 AMMiracles out of Nowhere - Kansas.
That is an amazing song...absolutely...I have been fortunate enough to have heard this a number of times live...I know we both favor this band very highly...that whole album is amazing, likely my favorite Kansas album...maybe.. and I really like The Wall there too...It will be nice to hear from you about other Kansas stuff...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

Ferryman

Supper's Ready by Genesis. OK, it's lots of songs but it has to be considered as a whole "suite". Loved the album and saw them perform it live with the most incredible stage show in 1972 when I was 15. It was a truly amazing experience and has stayed with me ever since.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

kenny mac

With or without you by U2 has to be one of the most perfectly constructed songs ive heard,it just creeps in and builds bit by bit.
The infinity guitar line floats in like a ghost and haunts you.
Superb.

Greeny

This is already turning into an amazing mixtape :-)

Frank53

Wow, this is really an impossible task. Whatever I say today will change tomorrow... or in 10 minutes.  :)
I'll go with my first thought at the moment...

'On Reflection', by Gentle Giant. The vocal counterpoint, Kerry's angelic interlude, the varied instrumentation, the recapitulation of the opening counterpoint performed guitar, keys, and bass on the outro. It's a work of art. And the live version is completely re-imagined. That was a unique band.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Kenneth

I just can't do it.
I have memories and attachments from different times in life... I'd rather say I  have a top 100.
I guess you could put me down for the opening titles for the movie "Grand Canyon ", by  James Newton Howard. It's very special to me.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6T5EtWW9M44

"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman