Stealth recording ideas please?

Started by StevieM, September 08, 2020, 08:06:28 AM

StevieM

-I've got a sort of problem that maybe one ( or more ) of my musician friends on here might have some sort of answer too.

I mostly sleep very badly and very often have snippets of music going through my head ----sometimes whole tracks------- with no way of making a note of them at silly o'clock in the morning.
There's no way I can drag a guitar or keyboard out at that time in the night/ morning!!!!!!
Not even sure what I'm looking for -------maybe a very small ,quiet and cheap keyboard/synth that can either record direct to itself, or hook up to a laptop/pc.
Or maybe a decent (cheap, or even free ????) software package that I can do basic music on.
Just to be able to get these weird ideas out of my head a bit at really silly o'clock times.
Did I make any sense at all there?
All solutions considered.
Cheers.
Steve.
I always say, if I can leave somebody happy and smiling at the end of the day-----I've completely f*cked up!!

T.C. Elliott

One of those old casio keyboards that would allow you to record over the fake drums. Something like that?

Or a tape recorder... just hum it into the recorder then wake up and wonder what the heck that was. (If you're like me.)
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

TPB

Hee Hee done this before I have garage band on My Ipad  can open play a riff pick out the chords on the auto play or just hum into the on board mic simple and easy. Not sure anymore when I loaded garage band it was free also have it on my I phone
Tim
Life is not about the number of Breathes you take, it is the amount of times your breathe is taken away

Hook

Look up the Novation Mini Nova, used to have it when I had a real studio. Its awesome!!!

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800
Because the Hook brings you back
I ain't tellin' you no lie
The hook brings you back
On that you can rely

Greeny

If you have an iPhone, the voice memo app is a good & quick sketch pad. I use it all the time, because I would never be able to remember my ideas. I record guitar and say what chords they are as I go. I also use the phones notepad to write down song titles or random ideas in the middle of the night.

IanR

Just sing the ideas into your iPhone. Lyrics or melody can be sung.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

cuthbert

I also use an audio recording app on my iPhone at night - not great sound quality, but it usually helps me remember later.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

henwrench

I'm so outta touch.
Get an iPhone. Or iPad.
Get GarageBand for free.
Plug some headphones in.
So easy to use. Even though it took me about 5 years to figure it out. But if you put in the effort, or have access to a Child, the Child can show you what to do.
But even then you have to APPLY YOURSELF.
Otherwise, it's easy. Just kidnap children. They've got weird power.
Learn. Grow. Or something.

henwrench
The job of the artist is to deepen the mystery - Francis Bacon

English by birth, Brummie by the Grace of God

recorder
Boss Micro BR

StephenM

Quote from: IanR on September 10, 2020, 04:41:50 AMJust sing the ideas into your iPhone. Lyrics or melody can be sung.
yes the phone is a great recording medium...and in a pinch you can send yourself a voice mail

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner