Zoom R24 Advice or tips?

Started by T.C. Elliott, August 31, 2020, 03:52:11 PM

T.C. Elliott

Just bought a used Zoom R24 (for a good price) off of facebook marketplace. Now I've got it home and turned it on and I realize that I don't want another learning curve *throws tantrum.*  It'll have to wait till this weekend. Any tricks or tips or advice of any kind?

I mainly got it because it can act as an interface and also a control surface for a DAW. That could be handy. It might be more pain than it's worth. Anyway, wish me luck.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

Dead Ambassadors Bandcamp Page

T.C. Elliott Bandcamp Page

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

64Guitars

I don't have any first hand experience with Zoom products but I thought I'd suggest the video tutorial available from Pro Audio EXP (formerly ProAudioDvds). It might help you learn the R24 faster and easier.

https://proaudioexp.com/products/zoom-r24-r8-dvd-tutorial

Also, Zoom's R24 product page has a bunch of downloads available (manuals and other support documents, drivers, and a firmware update). It also has two instructional videos ("How to use as an Interface & Control Surface with Cubase" and "Importing files to computer").

https://www.zoom.co.jp/products/multi-track-recorder/r24-recorder-interface-controller-sampler#media

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

T.C. Elliott

Thanks much. I've already downloaded the manuals but I am apparently fairly blind as I didn't see the videos.
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

"You can't wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club." — Jack London

StephenM

I have one and have used it alot...and yes it takes a little bit...but you will find it really isn't that bad...and it has some great features such as...it is incredibly portable!  and the looping is easy to use...i like the looping because you can build a part to a song and then when you want to bring it in just press the square pad...but yes, you will have to look in the book some...face it though, you had to on your last one (and i am guessing here but I am pretty sure I am right).  I do alot of building tracks on here and then master on my Boss because its better that way...but the zoom storage to disk is so easy and file transfer is easy....How much did you give for this?  Just wondering because I paid close to 500 new.... and I think I should have bought the Tascam and probably will... but I will always use this because of it's portability....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

T.C. Elliott

Thanks, Stephen, for the response. I paid $200 cash. Apparently it's 'barely used.'  the guy I bought it from said it was purchased by a band for recording and then they broke up and it's been sitting for a while. Asking price of $350 a couple of weeks ago but it kept getting lowered. As it works as an interface as well as the possibility of having moving faders for a DAW, I couldn't pass it up. My trusty old (bought in 2007) BR-900CD is already jealous and I haven't even done much other than turn it on to make sure it works.

I remember being very frustrated with the 900 at first. I bought one of those DVDs (probably from the company site that 64Guitars suggested) and it did help immensely. I figure with youtube there is probably a lot of helpful tutorials out there if one would want to wade through all of it to find the gems.

Which Tascam are you looking at?
recorder
Boss BR-900

recorder
Reaper

StephenM

TC that would be the DP24 I believe or i think they have a 32 model which is what I will get if I can...My son just downloaded cakewalk software on his computer...20 years ago i used a $35 store version that I liked and back then I was mostly recording my wifes piano through the line in and a little cheap computer mic...lol...I got fairly good results recording like that but the masters were too weak....so the Zoom would allow me to interface with a DAW...although I am not sure at this stage of my life I want to go into that rabbit hole...(I probably will though)....but I really like playing with buttons and knobs...and I am old school....you got a great deal on your zoom...you will not regret it at that price... I used mine alot to make crazy loops of a bunch of groups I like..it really worked great for that...I would like to hear later how you like using it...

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

des0free

I have r24 and understand quite a bit about it, though I am not super active on checking this this forum these days

It is a good piece of kit, though I am experimenting with a 16 input Tascam USB interface now.  but there is something to be said for a standalone recorder because it has no latency even when running some effects (and you can hear the effects but record dry without) and there is no computer screen to get lost in fooling around with
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR

StephenM

recently i started using the onboard mics and they actually are pretty darn good...  and I have been playing around with some of the effects that you can patch to a channel or channels....some very cool stuff there....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24

des0free

Quote from: StephenM on October 30, 2020, 10:53:03 PMrecently i started using the onboard mics and they actually are pretty darn good...  and I have been playing around with some of the effects that you can patch to a channel or channels....some very cool stuff there....

Hi - in part inspired by your comment here I tried yesterday recording with the onboard mics with the following result  (note in additional posts I post unprocessed, "heavily" processed, and "just reverb" versions:

https://songcrafters.org/forum/index.php?topic=30255.0
recorder
Reaper
recorder
Zoom R24
recorder
Boss Micro BR