Snake In The Cradle

Started by Ray Brookes, August 21, 2020, 01:17:37 PM

Ray Brookes

snake in the cradle
Time:
0:00
Volume:

A swampy blues song I recorded a while ago with dark undertones lyrically. There is an accompanying YT vid if anyone wants to check it out:

https://youtu.be/ZQP45AME21g

Engine stalling
Redwood falling
Babies bawling
Sheriff come calling
Another child missing
Black snake hissing

Radio squawking
Searchers walking
Media stalking
Everybody talking
Mother in ruins
What's black snake doing?

Fox in the hen house
Cat amongst the pigeons
Fire in the stable
A snake in the cradle

Evidence burning
Fast wheels turning
Insides churning
Nobody learning
Nobody listening
Snake tooth glistening

Fox in the hen house
Cat amongst the pigeons
Cards on the table
A snake in the cradle
Ray Brookes

Frank53

Ray, this is a great song. So much description, emotion, and imagery in 2 minutes. An entire movie could be built around this theme. The music couldn't be more appropriate and effective. Nice work!
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

StephenM

how appropriate for today and i think I get your portrayal here.... all to often...yes...black snake hissing...snake in the cradle...wow...the imagery of darkness....and the music is really good...I downloaded to add to my songcrafters folder so when I run I can hear...thanks...and we must all battle the forces of darkness....

recorder
Boss BR-1600
recorder
Zoom R24
         you can call me anything you like.  Just don't call me late for dinner

Ferryman

Wow, loving this one. The title drew me right in and I loved the lyrics. I like my music dark, intense and brooding and this delivered on all of those. Great swampy blues sound with absolutely stellar harp. I also loved the bass sound - it comes across superbly on my new studio monitors, really deep and resonant without being boomy.

Nice work Ray, this is really a standout piece of music. Love it!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Hilary

Wow this is good.

Fox in the hen house
Cat amongst the pigeons
Fire in the stable
A snake in the cradle

What a great hook!
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Farrell Jackson

A fine swampy blues Ray with some very descriptive lyric.........top notch!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

kenny mac

Wow excellent blues,this would be a great film track.
Some really great playing there,authentic blues.
Very impressive , well done.

tonyc

another great track ray , i was gone for 2 mins , then brilliant clear recording , and again love that sound you get on the harp , superb . tony cee
recorder
Zoom HD16

pjd1

Yes great music that slide is killer and along with mouth organ , it all blends in perfectly and sounds amazing , very atmospheric to listen to on cracking vocal as well .

Brill

Dunny
recorder
Boss BR-800

Cheers
Happiness is a warm ES 335, Boss BR800, Tascam dp 24 , Boss Micro , Fender Strat 70s original, Line 6 classical modeling guitar, yamaha ps 125 keyboard. Hohner Bass guitar.

recorder
Tascam DP-24

recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-8

Johnbee

Really enjoyed this.  The video was great.  Captures a lifestyle that too few of us see.

:) John B

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!