Youtube videos

Started by Frank53, August 10, 2020, 05:14:36 AM

Frank53

I've been using NCH Videopad to create videos for Youtube upload. I'd like to get some opinions on format and resolution selection. I've been using mp4. Then I have a choice of 21 different resolution settings, from 240p to 2160p, PAL, NTSC, various aspect ratios, etc. I generally look for the smallest file size, since I'm usually just using a photo, and I'm only concerned with the music.

What do you guys use, and what sort of file size do you realize for your average video?

Thanks!
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Greeny

I'm not technically-minded at all, so just shoot footage on my iPhone for live performances or compile photos in iMovie for videos that can be uploaded directly to YouTube. It's all on my phone, and doesn't appear to take up much space (I can't even tell how my space it takes up...). Very occasionally I'll rip other video footage from YouTube and overlay it with my own soundtrack using iMovie on my (work) MacBook Air. On both phone and laptop you can add titles and film style etc.

I wish I knew more / had better gear. But I've never minded being 'lo-fi'.

I hope Kenny responds to this thread because he makes great videos!

64Guitars

Here's YouTube's recommendations:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/6375112

I can't speak from experience but I think that 720p (1280x720) is as much resolution as you need. Probably even 480p (854x480) would be adequate. The only reason you might want to use a higher resolution is if you think people are going to download your videos to watch on their big-screen TV. But I think that's unlikely. Most people are just going to watch it on their phone or computer, so resolutions over 720p are a waste and only result in slower upload/download times and poor streaming on slower internet connections.

recorder
Zoom R20
recorder
Boss BR-864
recorder
Ardour
recorder
Audacity
recorder
Bitwig 8-Track
     My Boss BR website

Frank53

Thanks, guys. This was helpful.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

kenny mac

Hi there,
I suppose it really depends on what type of videos you want to make.
If its just photos then the settings 64 said are adequate and have the plus of downloading faster.
I use  sometimes 1920×1080 mp4 format because I use video clips to merge a story into.
I also use and would recommend sony vegas.
If you film your clips it automatically will ask you if you want to create the video in the format ,speed to what   your clip is in ,it will then give you a list of you tube friendly templates to download onto.
I usually render it and then go for a coffee as its downloading lol.
Good luck.