Started by Mike_S, August 08, 2020, 09:14:41 AM

Mike_S

Paranoia
Time:
0:00
Volume:
AlterEgoFest (banner image missing)

Another one for Alter Ego...

Starting life as a melodic metal band, the Freaks of the Modern Age were formed in the mid-nineties during the hay day of Grunge and Indie by brothers Paul and Simon Potter.

They first saw light of day playing at the Skegness summer fête. Sadly the majority of the thirty plus crowd simply wandered off during the set, but crucially one person remained. Local man Ted Wilson saw something in the band he liked and as it happened knew the owner of nearby bar "The Grape and Willow Tree".

Managing to get the boys a gig, Ted persuaded the band to adopt a proggier, edgier sound, drawing on darker material, in the hope they could offer the public something new. Unfortunately this move backfired as the majority of the crowd were calling out for Blur or Oasis covers. In truth The Freaks never really recovered from this but to hardcore fans they are fondly remembered.

recorder
iPad GarageBand

Frank53

I would have bought their album. Good music, and a good story.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Ferryman

I would remember this fondly if I'd ever heard them. The guitar sounds very John Petrucci-like and the track could fit on a Porcupine Tree album. Are you sure Steven Wilson wasn't in the audience at the Skegness fete?

I loved the moody and non-obvious chord changes over a great groove and really good guitar work. They should have been huge!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

AndyR

Nice one.

Until it got more proggy it reminded me of The Mission.... I did by their album!
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Mike_S

Quote from: Ferryman on August 09, 2020, 05:44:09 AMI would remember this fondly if I'd ever heard them. The guitar sounds very John Petrucci-like and the track could fit on a Porcupine Tree album. Are you sure Steven Wilson wasn't in the audience at the Skegness fete?

I loved the moody and non-obvious chord changes over a great groove and really good guitar work. They should have been huge!

Thanks for listening guys... Nigel not sure if Steven Wilson was in the crowd or not it's a long time ago, but it's just dawned on me now Ted might have been his Dad... damn if only the lads had known... ah well so near and yet so far!!
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Greeny

Damn this is good. The brooding, flamenco style of the chords... that chorused/flanged right hand guitar (very Siouxsie and the Banshees / John McGeoch - one of my favourite guitarists)... the driving bass... the vocal. It's bloody sublime.

What a stunner!

Would love to hear more from this band.

Redler

I loved the atmosphere right from the start. This is just for my taste; a bit proggy and psychedelic...

The title fits well on the music. So good performance and production!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

IanR

I really like this too.

This fest is uncovering some seriously good bands that I wish I knew previously.

Ian

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Kenneth

The tracks you post never disappoint Mike, and this is brilliant. I do hear Nigel's reference to Porcupine Tree definitely,  but there's others I can't pinpoint at this early hour.
Either way, it's got it's own thing , and that is a killer track.
"...a guitar sound that you could curdle cream with." Ferryman

SE

Quality, interesting and cool need I say more, just loved!
recorder
Boss BR-80