Sweet As You- Original

Started by Johnbee, August 04, 2020, 07:32:43 PM

Johnbee

Sweet As You
Time:
0:00
Volume:
Did this in 2017.  I was thinking of the band Devo but it didn't turn out quite as animated as some of their stuff was.   Features Izotope's Vocalsynth at the end.  It was a fun piece.  Enjoy!

She is the master Diva
She did her best at breaking me down
Nobody can explain it
The artful way she tore my heart out
She sold me quite a story
She lied to me and said she loved me
I hastened to believe her
She wore me down and tried to break me

You have seen me oh so broken
You rescued me from pain
She could be so warm and charming
She never could be quite as sweet as you

She's really not so special
Your average narciscisstic lady
Another special snowflake
Some mother's spoiled misguided baby
She wants someone to cling to
A fool she can possess completely
Why did my will surrender?
You threw me your love line so sweetly

In your debt I am forever
I was trapped for so long
She had me so blind to her truth
She never wanted to be as sweet as you

Bring me to your place of wonder
My world is bright and new
She could give me all her treasures
She never could give me a love as sweet as you.

(She wasn't quite as sweet as you.  She never was a lady)

c 2017 John Bowen

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

AndyR

Cool sounds! And a nice groove.
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ferryman

A very cool groove John and really nice guitar, bass and drums underpinning it. The synth lines work well with some great sounds. Gotta love a bit of vocal synth as well, it's a nice touch at the end and sounds great.

It's not quite angular or jagged enough for a Devo-ish track, but I think it has a John B sound all of its own which works great! I often take inspiration from a band or style as a starting point and I think it's great when tracks turn out like this with a bit more of your own personal stamp on them.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Greeny

Sounds more like solo Donald Fagen to me. Which is a good thing. Great production and melodies as always, and the groove is infectious. Great work!

I bloody love that vocoder part... !

hardlock

This one takes me back in time to a better place!  8)  Nicely done!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

Johnbee

Hey, Andy R, Ferryman, Greeny and hardlock-Thanks so much, all!  :)

@Ferryman-It's not a guitar you're hearing there but all keyboard models.  The first is a Hohner Pianet model and that's joined in the second verse by a Hammond B3 and Hohner Clavinet.

@Greeny-Thanks for the Donald Fagin compare. I love Donald and Steely Dan and their stuff is a big influence.

Thanks again!

;) John B.

By and large, jazz has always been like the kind of a man you wouldn't want your daughter to associate with.

-Duke Ellington

OK to cover but please let me know first.  Thanks!

Farrell Jackson

I too hear a Donald Fagen vibe here and that's a good thing to my ears. Well done on the vocals and the music!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Frank53

Nice work, John. Love the bass lines. Everything works together well. Yeah, I can hear the Fagan vibe as well.
There are only three kinds of drummers. Those who can count, and those who can't.

Mike_S

Hi John... trying to think of comparisons but really it's fair to say this sounds very original. Very nicely done with some lovely mellow sweet sounds. Those keyboard sounds are great.

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand

Ferryman

Quote from: Johnbee on August 05, 2020, 06:50:56 AM@Ferryman-It's not a guitar you're hearing there but all keyboard models.  The first is a Hohner Pianet model and that's joined in the second verse by a Hammond B3 and Hohner Clavinet.
Wow, that's pretty cool then! Nice work.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR