Please Excuse Those Words That I Said - AndyR Original (Remastered)

Started by AndyR, July 26, 2020, 06:07:20 PM

AndyR

(Remastered 22/10/2021)

Now here's a bit of an oldie - the second song I ever wrote. In... 1978!

I think I played it once, or maybe twice, at school assemblies. My musical peers and colleagues back then dismissed it as corny/rancid pop music rubbish... Now, I kinda wish I hadn't been swayed by their opinion. Not for this song specifically, but because it meant I never wrote anymore like this.

For this 2020 "Broom-cupboard Productions" offering, all I did was change the key and throw a band at it. I was quite surprised at how it turned out.

I haven't altered any of the lyrics. So please bear in mind that it was written by a broken-hearted 15 year old in August 1978.

Please Excuse Those Words That I Said
Words & Music AndyR
Recorded on a BR1600
--------------------------------
Last week I saw you standing there all on your own
You had that look about you - cold and all forlorn
I didn't think that you would not fall for me
Please excuse those words that I said

Your mother told me that you were fond of me
But having known you for some time I don't agree
I didn't think that you would not fall for me

You used me only to keep him on his toes
But now I realise that's just the way it goes

So now I sit alone and nurse my broken heart
I've never felt like this before - I'm torn apart
Now I know that you could not fall for me

Copyright (C) 1978 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

hardlock

Wow, this is quite a good song! Really nails the era and vibe of the time. Vox drives the emotion. Harmonies are the icing on the cake!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

cuthbert

I loved it! I have been in a similar situation around the same age. First heartbreak is the most painful and also the most sweet, when looking back later.
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Adobe Audition
recorder
Cubase

Oldrottenhead

brilliant Andrew, i started righting songs around the same age, wish i had at least kept some lyrics and stuff but alas i didn't, probably a good thing lol. Anyway the fire and vitality of youth come through on the lyric quite profoundly. Absolutely love it.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Hilary

I love it - it's got a 60s feel about it - did she ever hear you sing it?
recorder
Boss BR-80

comme ci, comme ça

Redler

What a gem from he past, really worth of re-recording! Fine job with "heartbreaking" lyric and the vocals are just amazing, so beautiful harmonies!

I'm sure this would have been a hit, if some popular band had recorded this in the late 70's...a perfect pop song; beautiful melodies, sad lyric.. I think there has been many teenagers on similar situation.

Amazing job, Andy!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Ferryman

Very impressive for a first songwriting effort, mature beyond your years. It's sounding great today, very poppy and catchy with some great melodic hooks and some lovely chord changes. Beautifully played, sung and produced as always.

I can imagine this probably didn't sit too well with your peers that had gone "punk" at the time. But heck, you should always do what gets your creative juices going, regardless of whatever the latest trend is.

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Farrell Jackson

It's cool to hear a blast from your past Andy......the song has a vintage vibe but then again that's no surprise since you wrote it in 1978 but it still sounds fresh. I too have written some songs way back that my peers/bandmates thought were not good enough or just too corny. I digress...back to your song. You've done some excellent vocal work on this song. The backing vocals are mixed just right in order to support the lead vocal but not over whelm it. The bridge section makes the perfect detour and then works it's way back with ease...well done on all accounts!

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Greeny

Sometimes we could all use a bit of time travel to strip away experience and just leave the pure, innocent core. This is a great straight-ahead pop song with a direct and effective lyric. Reminds a bit of the band Smokie. Retro-sounding but fantastic. Another winner. That chorus is as hooky as hell.

Mike_S

Love it Andy, written by a very talented kid. It's amazing how sensitive to criticism from others we can be at a very young age. But anyway you honestly wrote a corker here, I am on a second listen. You have a really powerful vocal. I can imagine you belting out "Since You've Been Gone" by Rainbow but this might not be your type of thing!

Mike
recorder
iPad GarageBand