In Your Hands - AndyR Original (Remastered)

Started by AndyR, July 12, 2020, 12:40:58 PM

AndyR

(Remastered 22/10/2021)

OK, let's delve once more into the magical shoebox of unused songs...

I've already recorded several that were written in 1994 (Sleeping with the Ghost, Elizabeth's Room, Warriors, With Mum Again, If You Knew, A Hundred and Twenty Pound) and I still have several more to come from this extremely productive year - some of them will be quite difficult to do any justice, hence why I've hesitated over the years.

Originally, this weekend, I was going to work on the easiest of the bunch, a song of excess and regret called Suite 109.

But then when Ennio Morricone died last week I remembered that one of these 1994 songs was written with a guitar part that I was SO proud of... only to discover later why it seemed so good ... I was quoting one of my favourite guitar parts from my youth: the theme from a Fistful of Dollars!

So I decided that this was a sign... it was finally time to attempt to record this one. And to resurrect the part I originally played when I wrote it.

In Your Hands is one of a pair of songs that I wrote on 31st January 1994, and the two kind of go together. Each is kind of a response to the other. So I shall prepare the other one, Little Thing, and hopefully have it ready for posting next week.

I'm rather fond of In Your Hands, even though I've had trouble singing it over the years, especially the last verse.

Anyway, here we go, just me and an acoustic ... (and a capo)(and new mics for recording acoustics, already used on Edith, actually, but bought for jobs like this) ... live in the broom-cupboard yesterday morning.

There was a LOT of swearing and it required many takes...

I nearly gave up in a fit of "I'm crap", but I finally got through it in one piece...

In Your Hands
Words & Music AndyR
Recorded on a BR1600
--------------------------------
What have you got there to play with today
I know by tomorrow we'll throw it away
Just out the wrapper
Already broke
Trampled and thrown aside
Nothing will last forever in your hands

The stains on the carpet the marks on the walls
The crack in the mirror that stands in the hall
You've scratched all the records
And eaten the sleeves
Why can't you quietly play

And all that you do is a mess
You've damaged the things that I thought you'd love best
And all that you touch is broken some way
In your hands

With teddy-bear kisses and dinner-time smiles
Desperate cuddles when life's been a trial
Mr Train's broken
'Copter is too
Daddy must fix them like new

All that you do is a mess
You've damaged the things that I thought you'd love best
And all that you touch is broken some way
In your hands

Now Mummy and Daddy are here to lean on
But Mummy and Daddy will one day be gone
Your hands are quite gentle when you touch me with care
But one day I won't be there

Copyright (C) 1994 A A J Russe. All Rights Reserved.
Time:
0:00
Volume:

recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Ferryman

Another stunner Andy. A very up close and personal recording which you handled really well (ok, after a few struggles it seems like). I really like your unconventional approach to songwriting, you don't quite follow traditional song structures which means the listener's attention is always held as the song and the story unfolds. I really liked the lyrics on this one as well.  The vocal performance is controlled but powerful and really comes across well. Another compelling addition to the Russe collection, bravo!

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Oldrottenhead

totally brawtastic. I love how your roll your Rs. got it looping.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

Oldrottenhead

this could be written for one of my charges at work. so much so it is spooky.
whit goes oan in ma heid

Jemima's
Kite

The
Bunkbeds

Honker

Nevermet

Longhair
Tigers

Oldrottenhead
"In order to compose, all you need to do is remember a tune that nobody else has thought of."
- Robert Schumann

hardlock

Quite a nice folk song. Great story line and presentation. Raising 3 sons I can definitely relate!
recorder
Zoom PS-02
recorder
Boss Micro BR
recorder
Boss BR-600
recorder
Audacity

My Originals:
www.soundclick.com/kentone

My Collaborations:
www.soundclick.com/kenscollabs

Those things we take for granted - when we're young and immature - will surely return to haunt us when we're old and insecure

AndyR

Got some additional information on this one - folks on alonetone were asking who the "You" was in this song... I think they understood it was children... but just in case, I added:

Some background, because several folks have asked. The "You" in this song are twin boys who were 2 at the time. In the next one, Little Thing, the "You" is me. The personal background for me, and why this song changed in meaning, was that, out of the blue, Mummy left Daddy and took these guys with her ten months later. 1994 was a really good year for songs, not so good for some other things!

Mr Train and Copter actually existed, and the men in question did eat some books... (but not record sleeves!)
There were stains on carpets, and marks on walls, but the crack in the mirror was further poetic licence ;D
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

(Studio 68c 6x6)
   All that I need
Is just a piece of paper
To say a few lines
Make up my mind
So she can read it later
When I'm gone

- BRM Gibb

AndyR is on

The Shoebox Demos Vol 1
FAWM 2022 Demos
Remasters Vol 1

Greeny

Gave me a Lennon 'Working Class Hero' vibe on the folky acoustic to start with, but then you throw in some typical Andy R sophistication on the chords and vocal melody. When you can sing and play like this, it doesn't need embellishment. What a cracker.

IanR

Stunningly gorgeous.

I could Ennio and a little Richard Thompson. Really good job.

recorder
PreSonus Studio 1824
recorder
PreSonus FaderPort 8
recorder
PreSonus Studio One

Redler

This is a folk song just for my taste, so melodic and powerful on same time. Great picking and your guitar sounds so good!

Just superb job!!!
recorder
Korg Sound on Sound
Redler & Co   
recorder
Audacity

recorder
Boss BR-80
recorder
Boss Micro BR

Farrell Jackson

Quite nice Andy. The acoustic sounds real good and natural so however you miced it up worked perfectly. That's a good story you're telling. At first listen, I thought it might be about pets so thanks for the further explanation about your twin boys. Your voice fits well here with this folksy style but then again I've not heard a bad one from you yet.

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?