Goodbye to my Vintage amp

Started by Pete C, July 11, 2020, 03:50:07 AM

Pete C

This week I sold my Selmer Treble n Bass 50 watt valve/tube amp which I've had since 1979.  It dates from around 1965.
I stopped using the amp in the late 1990's as it was cumbersome carrying the amp and cabinet to rehearsals and gigs and I replaced it with smaller combos.
Since then it's been stuck away in the understairs cupboard gathering dust.

I've often thought of having it serviced but the reality is, at my age it's too heavy to carry around and it's too loud to use at home  - since joining a band again last year I've been using a Blackstar 150 watt 2 x 10 digital amp which only weighs 31 pounds which is a a lot lighter than my last gigging amp, a Peavey 2 x 12 amp which weighs over 70 pounds.

Anyway, I sold the Selmer to a vintage guitar and amp dealer who'll service it and make sure it's safe before selling it on to someone who'll appreciate and use it.

Sad to see it go but it gives me a bit of spare cash for gear and earned some brownie points from Mrs C who resented the space it was taking up.

Pete

recorder
Boss BR-600

recorder
Boss BR-800

Farrell Jackson

The Selmer is a very cool, vintage amp Pete. 50 tube watts, at one time, was the perfect gigging amp for volume and tone. But they are heavy and as you mentioned there are much lighter analog or digital amps, like your Blackstar, that will get you a similar sound and loudness. I'm sure it was hard to let it go. I know it would be for me. I have a 50 watt Fender Bassman tube amp, from the same era, that I've owned since 1970. I had it serviced about 15 years ago and it's still rocking along fine but I rarely use it these days. You'll have to let us know what new gear you've purchased with the proceeds but you're already way ahead on the brownie points with the Mrs. 

Farrell
recorder
Tascam DP-32
recorder
Fostex VF-160

Farrell Jackson

Rayon Vert

Test, test, one, two, three.....is this mic on?

Flash Harry

They're a classic, someone will be delighted to become the new owner of such an iconic set up.

I'm with you on the weight thing, I used to gig a 4x10 combo, it took me all my time to lift it into the boot of the car, now I have 1x12 kickback and a Trace Elliot Elf. It almost fits in my pocket but it's rated at 200W.

The Blackstars are great, lovely tones and so light.     
We are here on Earth to fart around. Don't let anybody tell you any different
- Kurt Vonnegut.

Ferryman

Much better to let these things go to people who will appreciate them. Mind you, I wish I still had my Marshall 2203 Master Volume head that I used for many years in the 80s, it would be worth serious money now.....

recorder
Boss BR-800

recorder
Boss Micro BR

Gu Djin

Wow.  I had one those Selmer Amps in the late 60's  I used it with several speaker cabinets. The last one had 2 12 inch Goodman speakers.  It was too sweet a sound ( hi fidelity) for me at the time.  I lent it too a friend for gig, and it was stolen.  Never saw it again.  And of course it wasn't insured.

Nice to see one again
Guild Starfire 5, Fender Telecaster, Fender Stratocaster, K Yairi and Walden and a 12 Stagg string acoustic guitar and other music making boxes - including mandolin, bouzouki and 5 string banjo, uke and acoustic bass - a few M-Audio keyboards and a flute - all played and treated with equal love and attention - zoom ut 2 pedal and Logic Pro X

Boognish

Wow that's a sweet set up!
Hard to let it go, I'm sure.
Okay to cover.